29: Sing A Song

CHAPTER 29: SING A SONG

"Reason. We want the reason." Om said determinedly.

For the past few minutes she kept on going off topic, making puns and joking around. She ate the food that we prepared with a big grin and after wards insisted to talk about Om's hair.

Um, yeah.

She was fangirling over his hair. Don't even ask how flustered Om looked ! But I guess she was just avoiding the topic.

She let out breath. "You sure, you want to listen ?"

We gave her a thumbs up.

"So what actually happened is that while I was out in the loo, a sudden urge in me to drink coke popped up. I was scurrying through the stalls when I found a dog sleeping. I don't know what came over me, the kid me or something more naughtier that I  threw a pebble at him. He growled loudly as he woke up from his beauty sleep. And then he chased me and I ran and ran and ran. I reached home and then I blacked out because of exhaustion."

We were listening her intently.

"Guys, story time is over." She chuckled.

"You are lying." I said with seriousness laced in my tone.

"How do you know ?" She asked shocked.

"Your nails. They were digging themselves into your palms. You do that whenever you lie."

Silence followed.

Om looking at me gawping as if I was a freaking Google. I shrugged. He raised his eyebrows suggestively.

"What ? I am just observant."

"Sure.."

We tuned our heads to Anika who's gaze was lowered, focused on the plain tiles. She looked sad.

"Anika." I said softly. "What happened ?"

She looked at me right in the eye. Her eyes softened. "I was looking for a job. Its been days. So I was, you know tensed and I had to go early so I couldn't afford to waste my time for breakfast."

"You could have told me." Om said reaching out for her hand.

"But I don't want your pity. I knew you would. I wanted to do something on my own." She said. "Thanks for coming and looking out for me. I really appreciate it."

Nodding our heads, we made our way out.

________________

It was past midnight. I was working on the files. It had to be submitted tomorrow to occupy the resource rich Sudenland. The policies have to be gravely looked in and everything has to be precise.