Chapter 38

So, as hard as it was, I continued. I wiped my tears away, took a deep breath and I started again. Every Halloween, there were a bunch of teenagers around 15 or 16 who use to threw stones and eggs at our windows. Of course, we knew who was doing it but every time we called the police, the police said that they were too young to be arrested so the harassment continued year after year.

I remember one year, my mom just stood outside our door and the gang didn't attack that night. I thought my mom was a genius, for once she did something right. I thought "Why hadn't we thought of that before ?" but we were soon to find out that everything was far from fixed. I explained to Dr. Karl how the next few days passed peacefully and how much I was looking forward to the NBA final between Miami Heat and San Antonio Spurs on Saturday.

The day of the final arrived and I was hoping for a Miami win, hopefully this would be a day that I would never forget. It certainly turned out to be one of those days but definitely not for the reasons I expected. As usual, when I was happy, my life throws a curve ball in my direction just to make me sad. Guess life is literally a roller coaster.

Anyway, back to the game. It was an intense final but at the end of the second quarter, the Heat were ahead by three points. Le Bron James was having an incredible game and I was mesmerized. For a while, I didn't feel so much pain in my heart.

The third quarter began and I really appreciated the peace and quiet that is until I heard the smash. My voice trembled as I called for my mom but there was no response. What the hell had just happened ? I hadn't realized but tears were pouring down my face.

Dr. Karl gave me a comforting hug and when he let go, I looked at his face. He looked so proud and I knew then and there, that no matter how painful this was for me to talk about. I was so grateful to have someone there to listen to me.

P.S I know I haven't updated in any ages but I have one exam left on Thursday and then I will try to upload more. Thank you for taking the time to read this :)