Chapter 31

*Ella*

"Ella"

I jerked, turning right around "Jack"

"Hey" Jack walked in through the entrance door. "I want to apologise for being busy lately, how are you?"

I nodded. If I said I was fine my voice box would shiver and he'd ask me once more 'What's wrong?' before I break down.

Jack frowned but I cleared my throat and continued beating the cake mix.

"Ella-"

"Can you chop up the strawberries?"

Jack sighed but removed his coat before grabbing the knife that was already set by the chopping board and strawberries.

"That's a lot of deserts" he said as he saw the chocolate cake, banana cake, butter cupcakes and brownies.

"Yeah"

"Party?"

I shook my head. "Just a distraction"

"By eating all of this?" Jack tried to have a laugh.

"I normally gift them to the homeless shelters"

"Oh, right" Jack nodded, "Makes sense"

I poured the cake mix into the tray and placed it inside the oven before attempting to make a mud cake.

Jack finished chopping the strawberries and walked around the bench towards me.
"Hey..." he grabbed my wrist. "What's up?"

I licked my bottom lip and shook my head "I heard Seal was planning on demoting me at work" I lied, moving away from him "Can you believe that? After everything I've done?"

I opened up the fridge and grabbed the vanilla ice-cream I spent all morning putting together.

"Why?"

"I don't know" I said, placing the tray furiously onto the bench before grabbing a scoop. "Ridiculous right?" I added, trying to scoop the frozen ice-cream before realising anyone with a brain would know it had to rest a little before attempting. "After everything I've done" I slammed the metal scoop against the frozen ice-cream several times before grabbing it and tossing it into the sink in anger.

"Ella" Jack whispered.

I panted, placing a hand on my waist as I ran the other through my hair. "After everything I've done" I continued my lie even though I was referring to Josh.

Jack took a few step towards me before grabbing my arm and gently pulling me towards him. He rested my head against his chest and hugged me softly yet together.

I gulped as a tear or two escaped and took a deep breath within his chest.

I wish I could open up and just tell him everything. What happened and how I feel...

"It's okay" he whispered, running his hand along the back of my head as the other rubbed my back. "It's fine, you don't have to tell me anything"

It wasn't. I was finally coming together and with a few words I shattered again.

I moved away from Jack and walked towards the outside pool. In my red plain shorts and red singlet pyjama set, I stood there awkwardly watching the peaceful clear water.

Jack's footsteps were close behind but I really didn't want to speak.

I haven't been to work for a few days and Seal was okay with that, still paying me for hours I'm not even working.
I haven't even left my penthouse for a while.
Maybe I needed to go out, get some actual fresh air.