XXXVII.

❝CHAPTER 37

CHAPTER 37.

with the hours that pass, yoongi thinks that he might be going insane.

an overwhelming loneliness has seemingly taken over his life in the span of barely 10 hours and he now knows that yes, he probably is going insane.

all he can really do is sigh, not cry because he has no more tears to do so and not call taehyung because his phone is dead from all the times he'd tried to do so. he could charge it but that would mean having to get out of his nasty bed, still smelling of taehyung lingering scent, and does he really have the mental strength to do such a task? of course not.

now, he's certain that he's insane because he feels eyes on him, shaming him, yelling at him, but when he looks around, there's nothing; no one to shame him except for his conscience so maybe that's what it is. he's a little relieved because he would hate to think that he's losing his mind. he's so caught up in his thoughts that he doesn't realize the knock on his door and the creaking of it opening until he feels a hand on his shoulder. and he flinches, heart racing because he's scared of being disappointed once he turns his head.

he should've listened to his gut because when he twists his head around to look at the person, he's nothing less that disappointed.

his mother smiles and, she then frowns as if some sort of realization hits her.

"yoongi, what the hell is that smell?" she asks. the teen tenses and flushes a little. "i don't know what you're talking about..." he mutters but his mother leans down to sniff his hoodie and then the sheets, sighing softly once she realizes.

"did you bring a girl home?" she asks, pulling up the chair from yoongi's desk to sit down.

yoongi responds with a mumbled, "more or less."

and she seems a little annoyed with such an answer. she asks, "what kind of answer is that, yoongi?" and yoongi finally sits up only to stare down into his lap. his mother at last, flicks on the light of his room and she's a little shocked when the blonde boy tries to oppose, whispering a soft, "wait— no–" but it's too late and when the mum catches a good glimpse at her son's face, she gasps.

she cups the boys cheeks in her hands and takes a good look at the teen's face, blotched and swollen with crying accompanied by eyes rimmed red with now even more unshed tears threatening to spill.

"baby..." she whispers, pulls yoongi into her embrace where he tries to hold in the salty wetness even after it had already started to roll down his rosy cheeks until at some point he feels himself snap. he lets out a choked sob of, "mum..." following by more tears and his arms coming up to grip at her blazer.

"you and tae...d'you get into a fight?" and he's a little shocked because, "how'd you know that?"

they pull away and she bites her lip, a habit she'd picked up when ever she was nervous. "you stopped bringing girls home when...you and taehyung met." she says. yoongi's about to say something but she cuts him off.

"i might not be around most the time but—but i can assure you, yoongi, that i know everything about you and your brother and all the shit you've both been through."

to say he's shocked is an understatement. but she continues.

"i also know that...those briefs aren't yours." she smiles, "they're taehyung's." she takes a hold of both yoongi's hands and brings them to her lap, stares at them for a moment before looking up to meet yoongi's gaze, who's eyes are wide as saucers and filled with fear that only a mother would be able to catch with such a simple glance. "you didn't bring a girl home, did you?"

yoongi doesn't say anything because he can't really get his voice out. he's doing that thing where his words get caught in his throat to the point where it's almost painful to try to force them out. but she keeps on smiling. oh god, she keeps on smiling and stands up to press a kiss to yoongi's forehead.

"i already knew, yoongi. maybe i waited too long for you to tell me."

yoongi's expression melts and he's soon crying into his mother's chest once again. "i-i'm sorry– mum i'm s-so sorry– i'm sorry, i'm sorry– don't—p-please don't k-kick me o-out pl—" he stutters but his head is cupped and force away and his mother kneels so she's eye level with her son, own tears begging to coat her cheeks as she wipes away the traces off yoongi's.

"oh god– baby, i would never even dream of it, you and your brother are the light of my life, sweetheart, i don't care who you love as long as you're happy and safe and healthy," she says, "i shouldn't have—i shouldn't have told you all those things...that was all out of selfish fear and– god, yoonie, i don't even know what i was thinking."

the weeping boy leans away from his mother's hands so he can lay his head against her chest and for a moment he thinks, wow, i'm so fucking pathetic because he realizes that he's a grown man, crying like a bitch against his mother.

"i'm so pathetic." he utters. "i can't even apologize to taehyung out of pure fear of being rejected."

the woman cradling his head chuckles, runs a hand through yoongi's hair before pulling back again. "all i'm gonna tell you, yoongi, is that...you shouldn't let the people you love, slip so easily through your fingers over a mistake that can be fixed."

yoongi decides not to respond to that with something other than a sigh. his mother kisses his cheek and then leaves the room, leaving yoongi in his thoughts once again.

however, when she peeks her head with a glare, yoongi jumps.

"clean your sheets." she snaps, this time slamming the door close.