Chapter 10: Explanations and Promises

Steve was in his room reading when he heard a knock on the door. He turned around to see Erskine and Y/N.

"May we?" Erskine asked.

"Yeah," Steve answered.

They walked in and Y/N sat by Steve while Erskine sat across from them.

"Can't sleep?" Erskine asked.

"Got the jitters I guess," Steve answered.

"Same here," Y/N added.

"Oh, me too," Erskine admitted.

Y/N and Steve looked at each other, knowing they needed to ask Erskine something.

"Can we ask you a question?" Steve wondered.

"Just one?" Erskine responded.

"Why us?" Y/N asked.

"I suppose that is the one question that matters," Erskine said then explained, "This is from Augsburg, my city. So many people forget that the first country the Nazis invaded was their own. You know after the last war they, my people struggled, they..they..they felt weak, they felt slow, then Hitler comes along. With the marching and the big show, and the flags and all that and he hears of me. My work, and he finds me. Then he says, 'you'. He says, 'You will make us strong.' Well, I am not interested. So he sends the head of Hydra east research division a brilliant scientist by the name of Johann Schmidt. Now Schmidt is a member of the inner circle and he's ambitious. Even Hitler shares his passion for, occult power and tatanic myth. Hitler uses his fantasies to inspire his followers. But for Schmidt it is not fantasy. For him, it is real. He has become convinced that there is a great power hidden in the earth left here by the gods waiting to be seized by superior men. So when he has found my formula and what it can do, he cannot resist. Schmidt wants to become that superior man."

"Did it make him stronger?" Steve asked.

"Ja. But, there were other effects. The serum wasn't ready. But more important, the man, the serum amplifies everything that is inside, so, good becomes great; bad becomes worse. This is why you two were chosen. Because strong people, who have known power all their lives, can lose respect for that power. But weak people know a value of strength and know compassion," Erskine finished.

"Thanks," Steve said.

"I think," Y/N replied.

They all smiled then Erskine handed them two shot glasses and filled his then theirs.

"Whatever happens tomorrow, you two must promise me one thing. That you both will stay who you are. Not perfect soldiers, but a good man and woman," Erskine requested.

They nodded their heads in response.

"To the little people," Steve toasted.

"Just what I was thinking," Y/N added.

They clinked their glasses and about drank until Erskine stopped them and took them away.

"No, wait, wait. What am I doing? No, you two have procedure tomorrow. No fluids," Erskine reminded.

"Alright," Y/N nodded.

"We'll drink it after," Steve suggested.

"No, I don't have procedure tomorrow. Drink it after? Drink it now," Erskine said and drank all three shots.

Steve and Y/N just smiled.

But little did they know that Schmidt was sending someone to ruin the big day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N You guys ready to be super soldiers?!