Chapter 18: Getting "Promoted"

In the SSR tech lab, Phillips had Stark examine the submarine that the Hydra agent tried to get away in.

"Colonel Phillips, my committee is demanding answers," Brandt told him.

"Great. Why don't we start with how a German spy got a ride to my secret installation in your car?" Phillips questioned him then asked Stark, "What do we got here?"

"Speaking modestly, I'm the best mechanical engineer in this country. But I don't know what's inside this thing or how it works. We're not even close to this technology," Stark explained.

"Then who is?" Brandt asked.

"Hydra. I'm sure you've been reading our briefings," Phillips answered.

"I'm on a number of committees, Colonel," Brandt remarked.

"Hydra is a Nazi Deep science division. It's led by Johann Schmidt," Peggy said as she, Y/N, and Steve entered.

"But clearly, he has much bigger ambitions," Y/N commented.

"Hydra's practically a cult. They worship Schmidt, they think he's invincible," Phillips stated.

"So what are you going to do about it?" Brandt asked.

"I spoke to the president this morning. As of today, the S.S.R. is being re-tasked," Phillips replied.

"Colonel?" Peggy questioned.

"We are taking the fight to Hydra. Pack your bags, Agent Carter. You too, Stark. We're flying to London tonight," Phillips decided.

"Sir. If you're going after Schmidt, we want in," Steve said.

"You both are experiments, you're going to Alamogordo," Phillips told them.

"The serum worked," Y/N protested.

"I asked for an army and all I got was you two. You both are not enough," Phillips remarked then walked off.

The siblings seemed to glare at him as he walked off. This couldn't be happening to them. After all this, they were just going to be locked up.

"With all due respect to the Colonel, I think we may be missing the point. I've seen you two in action. More importantly, the country's seen it," Brandt said then signaled a general, "Paper."

The man brought a newspaper to them and saw their pictures on the front page. It showed Steve going after the man and Y/N saving the boy. The headline read, "Nazis in New York - Mystery Man and Woman Save Child".

"The enlistment lines have been around the block since your pictures hit the news stands. You don't take soldiers, symbols like that and hide them in a lab. How would you two like to serve your country on the most important battlefield of the war?" Brandt explained.

"Sir. That's all we want," Steve responded as Y/N nodded.

"Than congratulations. You both just got promoted," Brandt told them, shaking Steve's hand.

Steve and Y/N smiled at this. Maybe their luck was changing after all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N This "promotion" is just...wow.