Chapter 21: Meant for More Than This

Steve and Y/N had changed into different outfits and sat outside on the steps of the stage in the rain.

(A/N Your outfit but your hair is down.)

)

They were drawing monkeys to occupy their time

(A/N You guys can comment your own monkey drawing.)

"Hello Steve. Hello Y/N," a voice stated.

They turned to see Peggy and Y/N could see that Steve's face practically lit up when he saw her.

"Hi," Steve greeted.

"Hi," Y/N added.

"What are you doing here?" Steve wondered.

"Officially I'm not here at all. That was quite a performance," Peggy commented.

"Yeah, uh...we had to improvise a little bit. The crowds we're used to are usually more, uh...proud," Steve said.

"I understand you two are 'America's New Hope,'" Peggy told them.

"Bond sales take a ten percent
bump on every state we visit," Y/N stated.

"Is that Senator Brandt I hear?" Peggy asked.

"At least he's got us doing this," Steve pointed out.

"Phillips would have had us stuck in a lab. And that wouldn't have been fun," Y/N added.

"And these are your only two options? Lab rats or dancing monkeys. You were meant for more than this, you know," Peggy told them, they still looked a little distraught, then she asked, "What?"

"You know, for the longest time we dreamed about coming over seas and being on the front lines, serving our country. Finally got everything we wanted. And I'm wearing tights," Steve explained.

"That was the funny part," Y/N joked, giggling a little.

Peggy smiled at that then they heard a vehicle pull up. They turned to see some men being unloaded into the infirmary for injuries.

"They look like they've been through hell," Steve said.

"These men more the most," Peggy said then explained, "Schmidt sent out a force to a zone. Two hundred men went up against them and less than 50 returned. Your audience contained what was left of the 107th. The rest were killed or captured."

That triggered the siblings' worries immediately.

"The 107th?" Steve asked.

"Oh no," Y/N said, already thinking of the worst.

"What?" Peggy wondered.

"Come on," the siblings urged and they all ran to the main tent where Phillips was.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N Holy crap! Shit's getting real!