Chapter 28: Official Welcome Into the Army

(A/N M/I means "middle initial".)

Phillips told the corporal what to type on a typewriter as Peggy entered, hearing it.

"SENATOR BRANDT, I REGRET TO INFORM YOU THAT CAPTAIN STEVEN G. ROGERS AND Y/N M/I ROGERS WENT MISSING BEHIND ENEMY LINES, ON THE THIRD AREA. RECONNAISSANCE HAS PROVEN UNFRUITFUL. AS A RESULT, I MUST DECLARE CAPTAIN AND LADY ROGERS, KILLED IN ACTION. PERIOD," Phillips said.

Peggy didn't believe Steve and Y/N were dead, but she didn't bring it up when she walked up to Phillips.

"The last surveillance flight is back. No sign of activity," she informed.

"Go get a cup of coffee, corporal," Phillips replied.

"Yes, sir," the corporal obeyed.

"We can't touch Stark, he's rich. And he's the army's number one weapons contractor. You are neither one," Phillips pointed out.

"With respect, sir, I don't regret my actions. And I don't think Captain and Lady Rogers did, either," Peggy said.

"What makes you think I give a damn about your opinions? I took a chance with you, Agent Carter. And now America's golden boy and girl and a lot of other good men are dead, 'cause you had a crush and you saw Lady America as a sister," he stated.

"It wasn't that. I had faith. And Y/N Rogers is a dear friend, but I wouldn't put my friends in danger," she insisted.

"Well I hope that's a big comfort to you, when they shut this division down," Phillips remarked.

That's when they noticed all the soldiers in the camp running towards something.

"What the hell's going on out there?" Phillips asked.

They went out to see Steve, Y/N, Bucky, and the other soldiers who escaped. Bucky was basically escorting Y/N as they entered the camp. The other soldiers applauded them, even Hodge was impressed. They were then greeted by Phillips and they saluted him.

"Some of these men need medical attention," Y/N informed.

"We'd like to surrender ourselves for disciplinary action," Steve said.

"That won't be necessary," Phillips told them, a smile evident on his face.

"Yes, sir," the siblings said.

As Phillips turned to leave, he whispered to Peggy, "Faith, huh?"

She approached them and was in front of Steve.

"You're late," she told them.

Steve pulled out the shot transponder and pointed out, "Couldn't call our ride."

Peggy just smiled.

"Hey! Let's hear it for, Captain and Lady America," Bucky shouted.

Everyone broke out into applause as the soldiers parted them on the shoulders in thanks and congrats. But Y/N's and Bucky's eyes were glued to each other. He held out his hand and she took it as they smiled. He was all she needed and she got him back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N Nice job!