Chapter 26: The Red Skull

As the fight continued, the trio kept going through the hall.

"Did it hurt?" Bucky asked.

"A little," Y/N answered.

"Is it permanent?" Bucky wondered.

"So far," Steve said.

As the factory started exploding, the three of them kept running until they got to a walkway where Schmidt called them, which got their attention.

"Captain and Lady America. How exciting. I am a great fan of your films. So Doctor Erskine managed it after all. Not exactly an improvement, but still, impressive," Schmidt commented.

In response, Y/N punched him in the face hard.

"You've got no idea," Steve remarked.

When Schmidt looked back at them, they noticed the bit of red under his eye that wasn't there before.

"What the hell?" Y/N questioned.

"Haven't I," Schmidt growled.

He went to punch her, but Steve blocked it with his shield which left a huge dent on it. Then when she got her gun, Schmidt kicked them back, making her drop it and it fell down below. Then Zola pulled a lever which made the walkway split apart, Schmidt on one side and the siblings on the other. Once on the other side, Bucky put an arm around Y/N for support and safety for her.

"No matter what lies Erskine told you, you see I was his greatest success," Schmidt remarked once he made it to the other side.

He then started to take his face off, which was actually a mask. It took a while but once it was finally off, he was missing his nose and his whole skull was red.

"You two don't have one of those, do you?" Bucky asked.

"You both are deluded. You pretend to be simple soldiers, but in reality you are just afraid to admit that we have left humanity behind," Schmidt remarked, throwing his mask away into the explosions, and continued while he and Zola went to the elevator, "Unlike you two, I embrace it proudly. Without fear."

"Then how come you're running?" Steve demanded.

The elevator had already closed and the explosions were getting higher and louder.

"Come on, let's go," Y/N urged the men and they followed, going higher.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N Damn! Red Skull!