Chapter 36: Interrogation

A guard escorted Zola into an interrogation room and handed him back his glasses. Once Zola was alone, he noticed a little dried blood on the ground. Then Phillips came in with Zola's dinner.

"Sit down," Phillips commanded.

Zola obeyed as Phillips placed the food in front of him.

"What is this?" Zola wondered.

"Steak," Phillips responded.

"What is in it?" Zola said.

"Cow," Phillips answered then asked, "Doctor, do you realize how difficult it is to get a hold of a prime cut like that out here?"

"I don't eat meat," Zola told him.

"Why not?" Phillips questioned.

"It disagrees with me," Zola answered.

"How about Cyanide, does that give you the rumbly tummy too?" Phillips warned.

Zola didn't seem affected by that, so Phillips turned the tray around and ate the food as he talked.

"Every Hydra agent that we've tried to take alive has crushed a little pill before we can stop them. But not you. So, here's my brilliant theory: you want to live," Phillips assumed, taking a bite of the steak.

Zola chuckled then said, "You're trying to intimidate me, Colonel."

"I brought you dinner," Phillips pointed out.

Then Phillips handed him a telegram.

"'Given the valuable information that he has provided and in exchange for his full cooperation, Doctor Zola is being remanded to Switzerland,'" Zola read aloud in question.

"I sent that message to Washington this morning. Of course it was encoded. You guys haven't broken those codes, have you? That would be awkward," Phillips said, taking another bite of the steak.

"Schmidt will know this is a lie," Zola pointed out.

"He's going to kill you anyway, Doc; you're a liability. You know more about Schmidt than anyone. And the last guy you cost us was Captain and Lady Rogers' closest friend, so I wouldn't count on the very best of protection. It's you, or Schmidt. It's just the hand you've been dealt," Phillips explained.

Zola still didn't seem intimidated, but he answered him anyway.

"Schmidt believes he walks in the footsteps of the gods," Zola told him.

"Hmm," Phillips nodded, believing Schmidt was more nuts than he thought.

"Only the world itself will satisfy him," Zola continued.

"You do realize that's nuts, don't you?" Phillips asked.

"Of course. The certainty of the plan is of no consequence," Zola stated.

"And why is that?" Phillips questioned.

"Because he can do it," Zola remarked, raising his voice.

"What's his target?" Phillips asked.

"His target...is everywhere," Zola answered.

That made Phillips stop chewing. This couldn't be good.

Right then, Schmidt was preparing his army to win the war.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N Phillips got answers, but it's not going to be easy.