36 - A Ransom Note

"We really need to kill those Collective assholes," I say as Habit sharpens his one blade. "I'm getting really sick of them."

"I'll put that on my list," he says.

I look at him. "Where's Vinny?"

"He's not here?"

"No?"

He swears and drops his knife. He takes my hand and we start to search the house for him.

"Vinny? Where are you?" I call as Habit looks in the attic.

"Y/ n? You'd better come see this," says Habit.

I walk into the room and stop. He's holding a piece of paper and on it is a letter. Addressed to me.

"What the hell?" I breathe, taking it from him.

"Read it."

"Okay then."

Dear y/n,

We have written this letter for you to find while you search for Vincent. We have him now, and we want you. So, we'd like to offer him up as a trade. Your life for his. Choose wisely, y/n. And remember, it may be storming now, but it can't rain forever.

Yours.

"What the ... ?"

"You aren't going," Habit says sharply. I turn to him, ready to argue, but he just shakes his head. "You are not going to trade yourself over for him. You know that's not what he wants."

"What does it matter if he's dead? Habit, don't you even care about Vinny or me? I mean, God, how would you feel if you were Vinny and you were being held hostage by someone who is undoubtedly working for the Collective? I did this. I'm the reason why they took him in the first place."

"You don't know that."

"Yes I do. This won't just be a regular rescue mission like all the others. I know that this is the Collective. And they will kill him if given the chance."

"Y/n ..."

"You just don't want me to go because you're in love with me. You don't want me to go because I am the only thing that can kill the Slenderman. I am not stupid, Habit. I can read between the lines."

"Y/n! There's more at stake here than my love for you and your abilities. Much more ..." he says.

"Like what?"

"Your life, for one thing. I don't want to lose you. Ever. Again."

"Who will I be if I stay and let them kill or hurt or whatever Vinny? He's important too, you know," I say.

"I'm going to get him back, I'm just not going to take you with me. You're going to be locked up here for your own personal protection."

"You're gonna lock me in my room like a misbehaving child? That's low, Habit. Even for you."

I regret saying that the moment I do, because he jerks as if I'd just slapped him.

"Habit, I'm  -  "

"I'll go get him."

And then he's gone.