43 - It's True

"What?" I ask, crying despite the sedatives.

No. Not Vinny too. Oh God, please not Vinny.

"I'm sorry for your loss," the doctor intones emotionlessly.

"No you aren't," I growl. "You could never understand. He's not dead."

Dr. Connors looks solemn. "I'm sorry for your loss," he repeats.

"No! You listen to me! Vinny is still alive! Okay, you got something wrong. Unstrap me now."

"I'm afraid I can't  -  "

"Now."

He sighs and does as asked. I finally sit up. I've no idea where I am, where Habit is, or where Vinny really is either. Rage makes me see red and I get up. Dr. Connors reaches for me, but I keep walking.

"Take me to this John Doe you said I was with."

"Ma'am, I can't  -  "

"He's my fucking friend! Please. I need to see this for myself."

"... Very well."

He leads me down hallway after hallway, and I take pride in the fact that I was such a bitch that they had to bring me here. I don't know where I'm going, but Vinny awaits.

What am I gonna do if it's really him? What happens if he somehow died?

"What was the cause of death?" I ask.

"He had a stroke."

We reach the area where they have the morgue and Dr. Connors instructs the doctor there to show me Vinny.

Oh my God.

It is him.