twelve

i got up off the couch and told the boys and ivy where i was going. they all offered to come but i told them not to worry. i got in one of the cars and the driver drove off, and within minutes i was face to face with my childhood home. 

i hesitated to knock on the door, i looked around me and remembered memories of the outside of this house. i gathered my courage and knocked, only for it to be opened within seconds by two men, must be a trend. 

i was faced with a man in a suit that i could recognise anywhere. it was ivan, my family's bodyguard. he used to take care of my brother and i when we were growing up, i hugged him and he smiled. 

i- finalmente estás en casa (you're finally home)

l- soy y te extrañé (i am and i missed you)

i- yo también te extrañé, tu padre está fuera pero tu madre está arriba (i missed you too, your father is out but your mother is upstairs)

l- gracias 

i made my way upstairs and before going into my mother's office, i went past my old room. the door was barely open but i pushed it open, going inside to a room that hadn't changed since i was gone. 

my pictures were still up, my music and clothes. everything. nothing had changed. i admired a few of the things that i had, trinkets my abuela had made me when i was younger. she was my most prized possession, always making sure i did not get lost in my father's world. 

i closed the door behind me as i went out of the room, proceeding to knock on my mother's office door. i heard her faint voice as she told me to come in, she mustn't know i am here, she would've been with my father yesterday. 

my mother was always beautiful, she inspired me to be kind and forgiving. she was always my father's partner in everything and i admired that. she told me stories of their adventures and how she could've never asked for a better person to experience life with. 

they were the ideal couple, we were the ideal family. until everything changed. my mother knew about my father's outbursts but never about the abuse. she would always say that love makes people do crazy things, she would never accept the torment, always staying by my side for the night. she was the hardest person to leave behind. 

(imagine lola's parents as mark consuelos and marisol nichols)

i opened the door slowly, seeing my mother peer up from behind her mac screen

i opened the door slowly, seeing my mother peer up from behind her mac screen. her eyes widened as they met mine, standing up slowly and running towards me. i moved closer into the room and met my mother's arms. 

c- mi niña pequeña (my baby girl)

tears fell from my eyes as i was greeted with the scent of my mother. her fresh acrylics ran through my hair as she kissed my forehead. once we parted, i saw she was in tears as well. i wiped my tears away and she gasped, grabbing my hand and complimenting my acrylics.