30

A year after

Apparently all of us are finishing the last high school year. Some of us are going to uni, and some of us are going to take a gap year.

Gabri and I have the same plan as we just want to continue study immediately. So the summer is the time that we can relax ourselves.

As both of our parents agreed to that, we're gonna stay somewhere else than London this summer.

"What are you waiting for?"she asks, looking at me as we're in the airport, almost the time for flight.

I look over the place as I still can't find the person I'm looking for. So I give up and queue in with her.

Then I hear a familiar voice calling me behind me.

I turn over and see Alan, waving his hand at us as he's saying goodbye. I do the same as he did and I walk inside as it's my turn to get pass the security thing.

We get onto the plane and we sit together, watching a horror movie as she squeezes my arm.

"Ouch,"I chuckled. "It hurts!"

"It's too scary. I can't-"she cuts herself off as she closes her eyes.

I laugh as I pick the film intentionally.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the plane is going to take off in a few minutes. Please buckle up your seatbelts and don't move. Thank you,"the lady says over the speaker.

"Don't be scared, we're not gonna watch it again anyway,"I laugh.

She slowly opens her eyes as she sits near the window and sees the view outside.

"Yeah! We're taking off!"she screams like a child.

I chuckle as yeah, that's my best friend. We're never gonna tear apart.

We land in New York as we quickly find a taxi and drive us to the hotel that we're staying at. Then we both take a nap as we're so tired.

We decide to go out at night as she wants to see the night view of the city, which I agree as I'm just taking her with me without reasons.

"So where are we going?"I ask, drying my hair.

"A party,"she winks at me. "My friend here is  throwing a party here."

"I need a dress,"I gasp, put down the hairdryer and quickly run to my luggage, flipping through my clothes and finally after some rummage, I've got one dress.

"I'm gonna do my make up so wait for me please,"she says, putting on make up as she is looking into the mirror.

I take my phone out and scroll through it. There's nothing more interesting. So I just sit on the bed and wait for her.

"Alice,"she says.

"Huh?"

"Can I tell you something?"

"Yeah why not?"

"That night, when you're in hospital as your dad was, I got a call from Brad."

When she mentions his name, my goosebumps start to raise.

"And?"

"He told me about something, that he wanted me to keep it from you."

"The thing...he vented out his temper on you...is to protect you from Noel,"she continues. "And he didn't want you to get hurt anymore by having him around you."

I let her continue as I give no response.

"So don't blame him for breaking your heart that night,"she cheers.

"I won't I promise."

Until she finally finishes, we both get changed and head to the party she mentioned.

The party is held at a rooftop garden, which is probably her friend's own apartment. It is quite big and there's really lots of people hanging out there. I guess I need to make some friends.

I go through the crowd with her, as she leads me to her friend.

"Hey, Jamie,"she introduces.  "This is my bestie, Alice."

The girl calls Jamie smiles at me and she says politely,"Hello, nice to meet ya." She gives her hand out and I shake hers, giving out a smile.

"So if you're searching for someone special, I bet you'll find one here tonight,"she jokes.

I laugh and I think that she's quite an easy going person, I'm quite impressed with her.

We walk together to her bar as we all grab some drinks.

I take a sip of it and slowly put it down. Not that I can't drink, I just don't like drinking that much.

I let Gabri reunion with Jamie as I think that they might have not seen each other for long time so I just tap her shoulder and give her hints that I'm leaving them alone.

I walk through the crowd with my drink, slowly enter the edge of the balcony.

I lean over the grip of the balcony, looking at the night sky with the wind blowing into my face, which I enjoy it a lot.

I take one more sip of the drink, enjoying the night alone when someone approach me as I feel that.

The person doesn't say anything, instead he or she just approaches me.

I remain silent and I didn't turn to face the person, keeping it low.

"Hey,"the person breaks the silence.

I turn to look and figure that it's someone I know. I know very much.

"Hi,"I say, not making the situation awkward.

It's Brad.

"Why are you here?"he asks.

"I'm just travelling around with Gabri,"I shrug.

"I see. How's the trip?"

"Quite nice,"I laugh. "Though it's just the beginning."

I look up at the sky again to see a shooting star. I cross my hands in front of my chest immediately to wish upon it.

But I can't think of anything to wish.

"Wish upon a star?"he asks. "I'd always love to shout something out. That feels good."

"After you,"I say, turning my face to him.

"I would want a girl that wouldn't get me hurt!"he shouts.

"If you really need one I can help you with that I guess,"I joke.

He looks at me as to ask me to shout out mine.

"I want a house that I can stare upon the stars every night!"

"That's too superficial,"he laughs.

"Yeah, kinda,"I chuckle. "Ain't you got a girlfriend or what?"

"Nah, that place is reserved for someone,"he says, he stare at something.

"Tell me then,"I say causally. "I'm good at judging girls."

He says nothing and he moves along the grip, closer to me. I turn to face him and he barely looks into my eyes, with a close distance I can see there's sadness in his eyes. It's like he's wanting something that he couldn't have. He doesn't speak a word. He keeps looking into my eyes.

"I'm not good at this,"he mumbles.

He slowly runs his fingers around my hair, gently puts it to the back of my ear. He then puts his hand on my cheek as he touches it gently. Then he leans in and kisses me on my lips. He slowly releases it and says,"I miss you."

-