Chapter Five | Hardly Friends

No matter how loud the banging is or how many times I hear my name called, I don't move a muscle. I remain in the darkness, waiting for everything to end. The loud banging on the bathroom door makes a tune in my head that smoothes out the fear and the shouting is just the lyrics.

The tears continue to roll down my cheeks as my fingers trace patterns on the tiled floor, even though I can't see. I sniffle softly as the tune gets louder and I squeeze my eyes shut, finding more darkness.

I can still feel the shadow creeping around me and the blood spilling out from the back of my neck, but it doesn't hurt as much as it had when my skin was punctured. Its low growl begins muting out the tune from the door and I lean my head back against the wall, waiting to see if it will strike again.

Before it has the chance, the bathroom door is busted open and the room is flooded with light. My sore, red eyes flicker up to the brunette making her way towards me.

Gabriella grabs my shoulders tightly, as if her life depends on it, and squeezes as she shakes me back and forth. "Alaina?" She nearly shouts at me as I stare up at her. "We heard you scream!"

"The lights won't turn on." Margo states and I look over to see her messing with the light switch. Karly stands next to her, staring at me like I have grown another head.

"You screamed." Gabriella whisper and my eyes go back to her. "Why did you scream? Wh-Why are the lights out?"

I stare at her in silence, my voice not wanting to come out. My eyes roam over the bathroom slowly, searching for the shadow, but it's nowhere in sight.

"Alaina." She calls and my eyes snap back to her. Her hand raise to my cheek and slicks back behind my neck. I wince loudly and she draws her hand back. Gazing down at her fingertips, we both see the crimson liquid seeping into her skin. "You're bleeding." She whispers.

Gabriella goes to touch my neck again, but before she can lay a fingertip on my skin, I smack her hand away. Her eyes widen instantly and she looks taken aback.

"Alaina, why are-"

I stand up suddenly and she leans back, looking up at me with furrowed brows. My eyes flicker over to Karly and Margo to see them both wearing the same expression as Gabriella. I look back down at Gabriella before gritting my teeth.

"Stay away from me," I tell her before walking past the other two and out of the bathroom. I come to a harsh stop when all the boys sitting at the table turn to me. Jaxon looks extremely guilty from the sad look in his eye, Mick and Zeke look completely weirded out, and I can't even begin to decipher what is going on in Mills' head.

Remembering that I had just cried my eyes out, I look away from them and walk out of the diner. Not knowing Gabriella was following after me.

"Alaina!" She shouts at me as I'm walking across the parking lot. I continue to ignore her as more tears spill onto my cheeks. "Alaina! Come back!"

"Leave me alone!" I call back to her, and I no longer hear her footsteps on the pavement. My hands rub at my face as I walk across the empty street and I begin remembering my way back home.

NOAH'S POV

"Nice going, you moronic asshole." Gabriella barks as she walks back into the diner, the bell ringing over her head. Jaxon looks back at her as Karly and Margo slide back into the booth. Everyone seemed to be on edge ever since the girl screamed and didn't open the door.

Gabriella sits back down as Jaxon slips down into the booth where the girl was previously sitting. "Seriously. What the fuck is wrong with you?" She asks, her face flaming.