Chapter Fifty-Four | The Plan - Part One

ALAINA'S POV

My eyelids feel heavy as I stare out the window, but I still haven't fallen asleep like the others did. Moose and Carson are still sitting in the front seats, Moose at the wheel and is driving very fast.

Even this irritates Carson.

"Slow down, would you?"

I feel anger rising in my veins at the sound of her voice and I wish I was able to move, because of I could, I'd smash her face into the dash with my shoe. "We have enough time, calm down," she tells him.

"We have to get her there before midnight. You have to start before then," he claims and my head tilts to the side.

"You're..." I mumble and I see Carson visibly tenses. "You're helping De Umbra?" I ask, my voice cracking.

She sighs and glances over at me, eyes narrowing. "I told you before, Alaina, and I'll tell you once more. I help people who are need. I helped you when you were in need, and I'm helping De Umbra as well. And plus," she turns away from me and crosses her legs, "De Umbra needs my help more than you do."

I stare at her in complete and utter shock, dumbfounded by her words. "How..." I try to shake my head but it doesn't move. "You've been helping her this whole time?"

She doesn't answer me and I feel my heart sink into my stomach. "You lied to me," I state, my tone as rough and angry as I can make it.

"No, I didn't."

I see Moose glance at her before looking back at the road, judgement clear in his green eyes. "Alaina," she sighs again and my lip curls up, "Do remember how I told you that witches of the old religion had one goal, and only that goal? To maintain balance?"

I don't answer her, disgust covering my face. God, I wish I hadn't trusted her. She was so kind and helpful, but behind that mask is a snake that I want to squash with my shoe.

"When you were born, you destroyed the balance," she claims and my heart stops. "You destroyed everything."

My eyes drop down into my lap and I think I feel tears rolling down my cheeks, but it's probably just my imagination. Her words strike something deep inside me, something I thought had disappeared but apparently it's still there. My gaze focuses on my left arm, specifically my bunched up sleeve and the ink appearing on my skin.

Suddenly the car comes to a stop, but my eyes remain on my tattoo, wishing that Noah's was the one I was staring at instead of mine. My door is opened and I look up to see Moose's face, but when I meet his eyes, my vision becomes blurred and I can no longer see anything.

Panic rushes through me and a strange sound erupts from my throat, and I feel arms wrapping around my waist and under my legs. "No," I protest, blinking rapidly but my sight is still gone. "Stop! Let me go!" I whimper, trying my hardest to move as I hear the car doors shut.

I try to scream, to move out of his grasp, but I can't. I can't do anything, except beg him to let me go. And it doesn't seem to be working at the moment.

The smell of mud causes my brows to furrow and I continue to wonder where the hell they brought me. I hear something creak, almost like a door opening, and after a moment Carson speaks.

"Gimme a second," she mumbles.

"I can only hold her for so long."

Hey! I'm not that heavy!

"Let. Me. Go."

I still am unable to see as I feel Moose set me down on the ground, pushing me to lay on my side. Seconds pass and I finally see a light in all the darkness. My vision slowly returns to me, but I only see blurs and spots, and I hear a bunch of rummaging around.