Mare

I can't say I didn't enjoy watching Cal squirm when we saw eachother again. The brush of his hand, the flip of my hair. I used to think of this sort of thing as petty, but my time away from war and chaos and bloodshed has shown me how sometimes such pointless exploits can be enjoyable. There's nothing wrong with a little fun.

I spend all the time watching Clara with my mind on him. Did he wait?

I don't know. I hope he did. It seems to me as though he did. It's clear that I did. I can't help but smile at the thought, biting my lip slightly. I can't believe I'm seeing him again. It somehow feels like a thousand years has passed, but at the same time that I saw him just a moment ago.

Maven was not the only Calore brother to leave his mark on me. Only while Mavens is visible to the world, a physical ailment, Cal's is one only I can feel. One on my heart.

I am ripped from my thoughts when Farley comes into the room, or should I say storms into the room. She takes Clara from my arms and huffs away. Davidson is not far behind, chatting earnestly with Cal and Sara about what I can only assume to be Red medicine. Evangeline floats down the hall behind them, looking nothing but confused.

What the hell did Julian say? I can only think that his reasons for inviting Evangeline to the meeting were beyond even our wildest guess.

My eyes meet Cal's only for a moment, and all I want to do is run to him, to make up for all the time we lost. But I can't, right now it is clear Eve needs me. He nods ever so slightly, making it clear he knows what I need to do. He brushes some of the dark curls from his eyes, shooting me a small smile.

I always wanted him to grow his hair out and let the curls prevail. It looks better than I could've imagined.

I tear my eyes from him and face Eve, walking down the hallway to meet her.

"Eve" I say, putting a hand on her arm "what happened?"

She looks right through me, I see now that her hands are shaking slightly. It seems she has donned the mask she wore for so long in court. One I can easily pierce with my eyes. One she hopes will protect her.

"Eve" I repeat, shaking her slightly "what is it?"

Finally she meets my eyes.

"It's me, Mare." She says.

I can't help but look confused. She's making even less sense than normal.

"What's you, Eve? What's going on?"

"Democracy needs a face. The face of an ex-royal to endorse it." She says, her voice sagging. "The only way Julian thinks we can hope to keep the democracy afloat is by replacing him with another would be royal as temporary Premier until the official election can be held in six months. It's the only way to keep the silvers loyal. But the reds need someone they can trust."

My eyes fall.

"Tiberias" I say.

Of course they would want him back on the throne. Though it's not technically a throne anymore.

But Eve shakes her head.

"Cal won't do." she all but whispers. "The Red's won't accept him. They want me in his place."

My hand goes slack as does my jaw.

"That doesn't-"

"It doesn't. I don't know why but it's what they seem to want. The only Silver the Red's will back as premier is me. Why? I don't know" her voice shakes. "I have no idea. The only thing I know is I don't think I can do it". She lets out a shallow breath.

My jaw is still slack. No wonder Farley seemed so upset. But poor Eve. She didn't want to come back even for a visit. She is so haunted by all of this. By the ghosts of her past, the part she played for so long in this Kingdom.

The girl she pretended to be. Like I played Mareena Titanos. And like me, that character died with the fall of King Tiberias VI.

"I'll find Ptolemus" I say. It's the only thing I can think to say.

She nods. "Please" she whispers.

I grip her arm. I don't know what we can do in this scenario. We need to find out more. Why on earth would the Reds want Evangeline as Premier, even temporarily. None of this makes sense. If anything it feels more like a ploy of some kind. I shake my head. None of this makes any sense.

I leave Evangeline sitting in a chair and brush past Cal and Davidson. I pause. Now seems a good a time as any to get Cal alone, at least for a moment or two. And I can't possibly face Ptolemus alone. I pause next to Cal.

"I could use your help" I say.

My voice comes out much softer than I had intended. Sound weaker Mare, you can't! I chastise myself. But I don't look away from those intense bronze eyes.

He nods before I can even say what for.

"Excuse me Premier, Sara" he says, bowing his head slightly as he moves in my direction.

He offers me a small smile, one that makes the tips of my ears darken with blush. I can't help but return the smile.

"What can I do for you Ms Barrow?" He asks, his eyebrow raised. I swear he almost winks.

"First of all you can never call me that again" I say, jabbing him gently in the ribs. "Secondly, you can help me find Ptolemus".

His smirk turns into a glower, his eyes growing slightly darker. He sees now I didn't just ask him along to chat. I really do need him there, either to stop me from crying, or stop me from killing.

I feel his hand brush mine, ever so slightly, but held long enough to know it was intentional.

"Of course" he says.

I feel his heat next to me, and it takes all my willpower not to pull him around me. To wrap myself once again in that all too familiar warmth.

But I remain focused on the task at hand, and follow him into the maze of apartments within the old palace, on the search for the man I hoped to never see again.