Elane

"Eve you always look beautiful" I reassure for the hundredth time. 

Beside me Tolly nods absentmindedly. "It doesn't matter what you wear Eve, that's kinda, the least important thing you'll do today."

She emerges from behind her changing cover, dressed in a silk robe, her long silver hair tumbling loosely down her back. She twirls a piece between her fingers. Her makeup is not yet done and the silver flush from nerves and anxiety is clear under her fair skin. She is all silver and shine without her hair and makeup done. 

"Don't be stupid, Tolly. From the moment I enter that room to take the oath I'm being judged. First impressions, how at ease I am will make or break everything."

"Eve, that is our mother talking." He says, softening slightly, his face. "You aren't being evaluated, you weren't made for this." 

I am reminded by his grim connotation of Eve's actual purpose in being conceived. To be queen. Something she gave up for me. 

"He is right Evie." I say, but her eyes shine slightly. 

"He is, Laney. I wasn't born for this. I don't even belong in this position. I was never cut out to be queen, same as I'm not cut out for this." Her voice cracks slightly and she chokes back a sob. 

Tolly and I are both up in a moment, pulling her into an embrace. I let him speak first, knowing all too well that where their parents are concerned, he is the one who is truly able to talk sense with her.

"Eve you weren't meant to be queen because you weren't meant to be some mans arm candy. The pageant queen made real queen. You were meant for real decisions, hard choices, and the ability to do something good." He pulls away from her, but keeps her hand on her shoulder. "But, if you can't even choose a dress, especially when we all know you're always gonna fall back on a metal dress, maybe I've made a poor judge of your character." He cracks a genuine smile, squeezing his sisters arm. 

I smile too. "I personally love the metal look" I say, holding her free hand, "It goes with anything." 

Her eyes widen and she sniffs suddenly, pulling away from us. she moves quickly behind the cover, a new spring in her step.

"You're right!" she calls to us, "I am absolutely too predictable. I need to show a new side of me."

Tolly and I look slightly taken aback. What was meant to reassure apparently backfired horribly. But at least she's moving in the direction of getting dressed. As she takes her moment to dress I am acutely aware of Ptolemus' presence close to my side. I move quickly to sit back down. He takes a seat on the farthest chair from me. The incredible awkwardness between us is not a constant in our current  relationship, but whenever we touch for too long or stand too close, it returns. Hopefully one day it'll go away. But in my heart of hearts I know it will not. It is not normal family drama. 

"I think this is the dress." Eve says, emerging from the cover and providing a much desired distraction from my thoughts.

When I look at her, it is like looking at a new woman completely. 

"Eve, I-"

I don't know what to say, neither does Tolly, clearly. 

"Eve are you sure..?" He asks, trailing off.

But she nods, offering us her first genuine smile in days. 

"This is it."

Tolly looks a little off, not too sure if he should put up more of a fight. 

"Eve your anxiety, are you sure you can wear something like this?" He voices what I am thinking.

But she nods again.