Cal

Ptolemus and I are engaged in an in depth conversation as we make our way to our rooms. I can see lights on from under the door to Mare's and my room. Ptolemus moves to leave when I put my hand on the door handle. Even now he does not approach Mare or Farley if he can help it. I do not blame him. 

"Goodnight." I call out to him, he waves before making his way down the hall as I open the door. The sight that awaits me sends me reeling back out into the hallway.

"Ptolemus" I scream before running into the room. 

This is a trap. My mind screams. But it does not stop me from running to her.

Mare is sprawled out on the bed, the very charred bed, her hands trapped in a strange casing made of white concrete. Silent Stone. I paw at her hands, attempting to pull the casing off, yelling for Ptolemus', for anyone's, help. He comes running, followed closely by some guards from the hall. They help me to wrench the constricting, albeit slightly flimsy contraptions from Mare's hands. 

"Healer"  bark, sending the guards running to find Sara. Ptolemus sweeps the room, looking in the bathroom, the closet, and even in the wardrobe. 

Nothing.

It seems that no one is here. 

"Check the tunnel" I say, holding Mare in my arms, brushing her hair with my hand, cradling her to my chest. "Under the banner," I nod toward my mothers gold banner on the wall.

Ptolemus nods and sprints down the hallway, spears alive in his hands, ready to pierce anyone he may find. 

"Mare" I whisper as I feel tears on my cheeks, "Mare, it's me. I'm here."

I feel her flinch in my arms. 

"Maven."

I feel my heart skip a beat, and I stiffen. 

"Mare what are you talking about?" I ask, the words coming out slightly gruffer than I intended. 

"Maven was here." She is scrambling in my arms, attempting to get to her feet, "Cal, Cal, Cal help me, Cal he's got me!" She is crying now. "Cal he'll kill me. He'll kill you. He's got Cameron, he's going to get us. We have yo run." She is panicked now, shaking like a leaf, sweating and still trying to escape from my arms. 

I hold her as she continues to ramble, hallucinating in my arms until Sara enters. Sara subdues her quickly with a hand on her forehead. She gently pulls Mare from my arms and back into the bed. 

"Fever, high one" she says, "But it doesn't make sense. She's not sick. What is her body trying to burn off?"

She continues to study Mare's still slightly writhing body as she works to break the fever, holding one hand on her head and one over her heart. And then Mare goes still, and her breathing begins to regulate. Her fever is broken.

"Was it poison, Sara?" I ask, but she shakes her head.

"I've worked on plenty of poison victims." She says, "this wasn't that."

I shake my head. "Then what was it?"

She looks at me, her eyes grim. 

"Cal, her body was shutting down in a way I have only ever seen once before." she pauses briefly, "when healing the victims of Cameron Cole."

 "But how?" I ask, shaking my head, my voice trembling. 

"I suspect the cuffs." She says. "I would like to take them to Julian immediately. He will know."

I nod in response and she gingerly picks up the cuffs before dashing from the room to show them to Julian. To have him help us solve the puzzle. 

Ptolemus reenters the room practically the second she's gone. Coming through the main door.