Farley

I sit by Julian's bedside for what feels like days. In reality it was only a few minutes. I watch as he takes in shallow breathes, struggling to keep himself alive. I put my hand on his without thinking. The poor man is in incredible pain, even in sleep.

Sara returns and I pull my hand away quickly, jumping to my feet. She hold Clara in her arms, a small seemingly beaded bracelet resting on Clara's wrist. I look at it, it's multicolored beads seeming to be like a little teething bracelet, except for one. It is a smoother grey stone, in a small heart shape. It must be the silent stone.

"Silent stone." She confirms "its in such a small quantity that it won't hurt her, I promise." She says "but, it will weaken her powers just enough that she won't be able to jump whenever she gets upset. It will help keep it in check. When she's old enough to focus on jumping, she will still be able to, and once she can comprehend what she's doing, she won't need it anymore."

She offers me a small smile. And hands Clara back to me. The baby claps as I give her a kiss.

"Thank you." I say sincerely. "You don't know what this means for me."

I carry Clara back to our room, my mind barreling a thousand miles an hour. How can I guide her, train her when she's older. I don't even know what she is.

I shake my head. I love her, and all I can be happy about is that she's safe, and that this way  she won't be able to disappear before my eyes. One of the nanny's come in and I kiss Clara one last time before I hand her over.

"Mama will be right back my darling." I say with a smile "I love you!"

She claps her hands "mama!" She babbles with a smile.

I smile, watching her and waving as I back out of the room. I hear her cry when I leave. She's never gotten used to my sporadic comings and goings. I always feel awful when duty calls me away from her.

I walk into the meeting, thinking I'm the first I arrive. But I see Barrow leaning against the wall, a slight flush in her cheeks. I approach her, about to speak when Davidson enters, speaking rapidly to Evangeline and someone I presume to be Elane Haven. I have never been formally introduced to Evangeline's wife, but I have heard enough about her and seen her enough in passing to recognize her when she comes in.

"It's good of you to come Mrs Haven, you will be truly indispensable today" he says.

I wonder what on earth the light bending ex princess could possibly be good for, but Davidson answers my question before I can ask it.

"Your help in developing the new jet technology was crucial, and I hope your prowess in engineering when combined with Tiberias' mechanic skill will help get this done quickly, and done right."

I feel my jaw drop slightly. Elane was the engineer behind the new technology of our air fleet. They never released her name, leaving us to guess. Montfort remained safe from the attempted Lakelander invasion because of her. As Davidson takes Evangeline's arm, pulling her away from Elane, I approach.

"Mrs Haven" I say gruffly, "I, I want to thank you for all you did. Your technology, well I never guessed it was you. I'm sorry we've all underestimated you all this time."

I mean it. No one ever thought the heir to house Haven had been any kind of important. Back in Norta it was what kept her from ever being a Scarlet Guard target.

She smiles "I thank you kindly, General Farley" she says. "But if you could, I would rather the rest of command not find out it was I who engineered the jets. I much prefer the quiet life I live now in Eve's shadow."

I look stunned. The fact that such a smart, genius woman wouldn't want to claim credit for all of it. It's something I can't understand. But through her work she has earned my respect.

"Of course." I say with a nod.

She smiles, and floats away towards her wife, taking her hand with a gentle squeeze. I see Evangeline relax slightly when Elane takes her hand.

Now we are only waiting on Cal. The ex prince is never late, especially when his uncle is involved. I wonder what could be keeping him.

He runs in just as I am thinking it, zipping up his jacket as he enters.

"Sorry. Got caught up with something." He says.

Out of the corner of my eye I see Mare cover her face with her hand, her cheeks flushing.

I have a guess as to what, or should I say who, he got caught up in.