Evangeline

I am happy for Mare and for Cal. After all they've been through and all the poor kids are currently going through they deserved a night like last night. They deserved to be able to just be happy, excited, kids in love. I am glad especially for Cal, that even in the midst of his whole world crashing down, he could have at least one night where he could be a happy teenage boy, reuniting with his long distance girlfriend.

Because that's basically what they were. The two of them insisting the other needn't wait for the other. Both knowing they wouldn't possibly move on. Not without at least some kind of closure. But last night seemed like it was anything but closure. From what I heard it really brought everything back up. It was like an opener.

I wonder what will happen to them. I head to my rooms and hop in the shower, deep within my own thoughts. I do hope they can make it work somehow. They both just seem better together.

I clean my hair and my body, and then get out of the shower. I pull on my undergarments and tie my hair back into a tight bun, then I begin to assemble the thin metal sheets that hand over my headboard into a tight fitted top and skirt. I have mastered the craft of making it flow like fabric, giving my whole outfit the look of a perfectly flowing dress. I spin in front of the mirror, admiring how the light falls on the dress. Too good to be true.

I spin around, and search the room. I know exactly what the light means.

She appears in front of me as soon as I turn around. Materializing seemingly from nothing.

"Laney" I breathe, launching myself into her arms. She laughs as she catches me, stumbling backward slightly.

"Evie." She says, holding me in a tight embrace. "I came as soon as Tolly called last night."

I hold her firmly in my embrace, feeling tears sliding down my cheeks, ruining my makeup. I don't care. I run a hand across my leaking eyes as I look into hers. They're so beautiful. She is so beautiful. I run my hands through her beautiful red hair and then press a kiss to her lips.

"Thank goodness you're here." Is all I can manage, tears still flowing from my eyes as I rest my forehead against hers.

Suddenly it's as if all the weight from the night before, of my potential new position and how my life could change has come crashing back down onto my shoulders. The magic bubble talking about Mare and Cal has blown around my mind pops. I cannot stop the tears.

"I can't do it Laney" I say, sniffling "I can't. I can't come back here."

She take ahold of my shoulders, pushing me away from her slightly so she can look directly into my eyes.

"Hey." She says "if there is anyone, in this whole fucking kingdom who can do it, it's you."

My eyes snap open. Elane Haven is never this serious, this intense. She is my beauty of light, airy and fun. To hear such words from her snap something within me. She really believes in me.

But I still don't believe in myself.

She leads me over to the bed and sits down, laying me down so she can hold my head in her lap. She undoes my bun and gently dries my hair with the warmth of her light as I try to pull myself together.

"Cry it out as long as you need my love" She says "but we must discuss strategy. I pray that Julian survives, but it is a long shot at best."

Her face grows dark, cast in shadow as she runs her slim fingers through my hair.

"We must be ready for any outcome."

I nod, silent tears still escaping my eyes. Tears of sadness for myself, for her, for the life we may be ripped away from sooner than anyone would have thought. Tears of anguish for my mother, as wicked as she once was. Tears of anger because for the first time in my life I am happy, and it may all change in the blink of an eye.

I cry myself to sleep in Elanes arms. She does not move, continuing to run her fingers through my hair. It is with a bright flash of light before my eyes that I wake up a half an hour later.

"Rise and shine my love." Her soft voice tinkles, "we'll be late to the meeting."

I nod, rubbing my eyes, which must look red rimmed and puffy.

She swats my hand gently, "a trick of the light will keep you looking fresh as the morning." She smiles.

I take her hand as we rise from bed. Her long green dress flows behind her as we float down the hallway to meet with the others.

I refuse to let go of her hand.