Elane

I do not like the attention. The conditions of my help on the jet technology were strict. I did not want my name attached. I am happy to help, always in protecting the place and people that I love, but I do not want a target on my back, or the backs of those I love. Whether a literal target with a gun or to be a target for job offers. I prefer to live peacefully in Eve and my little house by the river.

I turn to look at Eve, at my beautiful silver haired wife. She looks older now than when she left home two days ago. I remember her confusion as she packed, not knowing why on earth Premier Jacos would want her to come. I had a suspicion, but I kept quiet. No use worrying her over something that seemed so unlikely. Now it's a reality we may have to face.

I wouldn't mind returning to Norta, not in essence. I hated it here, but not for the land itself, for the social bondage I was forced into here. I couldn't be myself, I couldn't even use my intelligence. I was Elane Haven, worthless but to make herself pretty, bound to be someone trophy wife, some pretty thing for a nobleman to flaunt like a ring or a crown. I was shushed when I spoke up, or just flat out ignored. Now I am heard, now I can help with the things my mind has always been able to understand.

But Eve has no wish to come back. While I am haunted by shadows of people and a society long gone, she is haunted by people who still wander these halls, by events that took place in rooms still standing. To have her be nominated to be in charge, a position she once so strongly desired would be incredibly ironic. When it's finally hers, she doesn't want it. I can't blame her. With her mother haunting these halls like a ghost and the quarters of her family not far away I can't blame her for not wanting to stay.

My wife doesn't speak much about her home life when she was a child. Though I have known and loved her since we were eleven years old, she has always been oddly protective of me. Never sharing why she would always be visiting the Skonos rooms in the late hours of night long after training had ended. Why when sometimes I caught her on her way she would hide behind a hat or a piece of metal covering her face or arms. In fact, the only time my suspicions were ever confirmed was when I asked Ptolemus.

I will never forgive Evangeline's Mother. Lady Samos of the Viper family. The queen of cruelty. One of only two people who ever truly hurt Evangeline.

I cannot ask my wife to return here even if I may think it's the right thing to do. I will provide support, and help her come to the decision she truly thinks is best. If what is best for her mental health and what she believes is best for Norta is for her to return to Montfort and never look back, I will support that. She doesn't owe anyone in this country a god damn thing.

Not a god damn thing.

To think that just yesterday morning we'd been talking about children. A future we were going to build. Now we're discussing open heart surgery using Red level technology and how best to support a crumbling republic.

I squeeze my wife's hand as I return to her side. We follow Davidson into the electric room, Tiberias close behind, and we quickly get to work.

The four of us work for hours on end, in a smooth down the line operation. Davidson explains to me how the plans work and I draw them, Davidson approves them, Tiberias suggests the best materials and Eve fuses the metal together in bonds only penetrable to a Magnetron like herself. After hours of planning, erasing, building, and collapsing we have our machine.

Sarah Skonos enters with Mare Barrow on her heels when we finish. I hadn't realized Davidson had shut them all out while we worked. They look frazzled, stressed and anxious and having nothing to Dover their attention to.

Tiberias and Mare leave, to get some water and take a moments break but Eve, Davidson and I stay inside. Eve needs all the practice she can get running the machine. After we talked this morning she agreed to do it. I believe in her, and I know she can do it just as long as she believes in herself.

I hear the bustling commotion outside the electric room as Sara, General Farley, Mare, and Tiberias her Julian's room and he himself prepped for surgery. Eve works with a deft concentration as she practices, seeming to age ten years with every passing moment.

We walk hand in hand into the operating room.

This is too much stress for anyone. Especially someone so fragile as she.

Evangeline Haven usually puts on a tough act, but I have known her better than anyone and I know her hostility and hard shell are all an act. She is terrified, only now her mask is gone, and the terror is written all over her face.

I can see it unnerves everyone in the room.