Chapter 13

Over the next week, Raven continued to train me. I could tell I had improved quite a bit since I first started. Her attacks became easier to dodge and I could move as fast as she could. I hardly missed my attacks now and I could counter attack twice as fast.

"I'm surprised how quickly you picked up on this," Raven said, as we were drinking some tea one morning.

"I am too, to be honest. I thought it would've taken ages for me to learn how to fight like that considering how clumsy I can get," I replied.

Raven laughed. "Well, I'm proud of your progress. You've done really well."

I smiled. "Thanks. That means a lot."

Raven took another sip of her tea.
"So, now that we finally have some alone time together, I have a question."

I looked at her. "Okay. What is it?"

"Do you like Qrow?"

"Yeah. He's my friend and teammate," I replied.

"Not that kind of like. Do you have any feelings for him at all?"

I almost spat out my tea. "What? That's ridiculous!"

"Is it?" she asked. "I've seen the way you act around him. You don't act that way around anyone else. And Qrow talks about you all the time."

"Wait. Really?!"

She nodded. "Yep. He never shuts up about how cute you are when you blush."

I blushed. "He said that to you?"

"Sometimes. You haven't answered my question yet. Do you like him or not?"

"I... I don't know. He's nice," I said, trying not to blush more.

Raven smiled. "The look on your face tells me all I need to know."

"What's that supposed to mean?!"

Raven just laughed as she took her empty cup and threw it into the trash.

"Don't worry, your secret is safe with me," she said.

"Raven!" I snapped. "What about you? It's obvious that you like Tai."

Raven's face turned bright red. "I do not!"

I grinned. "You totally do. He was one of the first people you opened up to after all."

She sighed. "Fine. Maybe I do... have a slight crush on him."

"I knew it!"

She glared at me. "Just... don't tell anyone. Qrow won't let me hear the end of it."

"I won't. I promise."

After we had our tea, we walked back to our dorm. Tai was passed out on his bed while Qrow was looking over his notes. When he heard up walk in, he looked up at us.

"Where were you two ladies this morning?" he asked.

"We were just having some tea together," I said.

"That sounds nice. How's training going?"

"I think it's going pretty well. Your sister has taught me a lot in the past week."

"I'd say she's pretty much on par with us at this point," Raven replied.

I blushed in embarrassment. "I wouldn't go that far, Raven."

"...You knocked out my katana the other day. No one has done that except for Qrow."

"So?"

Qrow closed his notebook and looked at us. "So... you guys ready for our upcoming mission?"

I looked down at the floor, remembering my dream.

"I... I don't know," I whispered.

Raven placed her hand on my shoulder. "Don't worry too much, Summer. You've improved so much over this last week. You'll have that Nuckelavee running in terror."

"What if something goes wrong and one of you ends up getting hurt?" I asked.

"I wouldn't worry about that," Qrow replied.
"We'll watch each others' backs and keep one another safe. We are a team, right?"

I smiled at him. "Yeah. I'm glad I can count on you all."

Tai stirred and slowly sat up.
"When did you and and Raven get back?" he asked.

"Not too long ago. Do you have class today?"

"I have a few. The next one is in a few hours I think. What about you?"

"I don't have a class until tonight. It's just combat class, so it shouldn't be that hard," I said.

Raven walked towards the door.
"I'm going to the library to study. Does anyone want to come with me?"

Tai jumped out of his bed, grabbed his stuff and ran towards the door. "I do!"

"Uh... I think I'll just stay in here today," Qrow said.

"Me too. I love the library, but sometimes it's nice just staying in the dorm," I replied.

Raven shrugged. "Alright then. We'll be back."

After they were gone, Qrow turned to me.
"So... what did you and my sister talk about earlier?"

I shrugged. "Just team STRQ and stuff. Nothing really."

"Well, it's nice to see she's making some friends. She really didn't talk to anyone when we lived with our tribe."

"Oh. Will you two be going back to the tribe once you leave here?" I asked.

"Maybe. I know Raven will. I'm not sure what I I'll do. I'm thinking about being a huntsman."

I smiled. "That sounds great! What made you change your mind?"

Qrow laughed. "You of course. You're so compassionate towards helping others. I want to do the same."

I blushed. "Wow... That's so sweet Qrow."

He smiled and we were silent for a moment.
Just then, Tai opened the door, startling me.

"Tai! You scared me!" I snapped.

Tai laughed. "Sorry. I forgot my pen. I'll leave you two alone."

After Tai had left, the room was silent again. I wasn't sure what to say.

"Summer... I just wanted to tell you that I'm really happy we met. Being a part of this team has been the most life changing thing that's happened to me so far. And I couldn't be happier that you are leading it."

I smiled and blushed brightly. "Thank you for your kind words, Qrow. They mean a lot. I'm still not sure that I have what it takes to be a leader though..."

"That's ridiculous, of course you do. You're strong, compassionate, you help whenever there's an opportunity, and you always do your best. If that doesn't make a good leader, then I don't know what does."

I was speechless by his words. My eyes stung as tears started to flow down my cheeks.
Qrow's face suddenly turned concerned. "Summer? Did I say something wrong?"

"No," I sobbed. "That was the kindest thing anyone has ever said to me."

Qrow closed the distance between us and wrapped his arms around me, holding me close. His embrace felt like the safest place in the world. All I could do was hold him back as more tears rolled down my cheeks.

"You're very important to me, Summer. I'll do whatever it takes to keep you safe," he whispered.