Chapter 23

"Qrow. Wake up."

I slowly opened my eyes to see Raven looking down at me. I felt Qrow shift beneath me and I moved out of his way. He sat up and looked annoyingly at his sister.

"What is it? I'm trying to sleep," he mumbled.

"I just got a message from Ozpin We need to go to his office," she replied.

Qrow sighed. "This early?"

"Look at it this way. The sooner you meet Ozpin, the quicker you can finish the magic stuff," I said.

"Yeah... I guess you got a point. Give me a few minutes to get ready," he said, getting out of bed and walking into the bathroom.

"So... what are your plans for today?" Raven asked me.

"Um... I don't really have any besides going to my last few classes for this semester," I said.

Raven nodded. "Okay. I still can't believe this semester is nearly done. It went by so fast..."

Qrow came out of the bathroom a few
moment later.
"Alright. Let's get this over with,' he said.

I got up and hugged him. "I hope everything goes okay."

Qrow kissed my cheek. "It will. I'll be back before you know it."

Raven walked over and embraced Tai.
"I hope you take your notes and don't slack off," she mumbled in his ear.

"Trust me, I won't," he vowed.

He kissed her cheek gently before she met
Qrow by the door.

"We'll be back," she said, following Qrow out the door before closing it behind her.

"What if something goes wrong and Ozpin ends up hurting them?" I asked, starting to panic.

"I'm sure everything will be fine. Ozpin knows what he's doing," Tai reassured me.

"I hope so..."

"What class do you have next?" Tai asked.

"Combat I think," I replied.

"Lucky. I have that stupid Grimm biology class," he muttered.

"It's not so bad if you take proper notes."

"But I'm so used to copying notes off Raven," he replied.

"Well, it looks like you're going to be on your own with that. My class starts in a few minutes, so I have to go. I'll see you later," I said, grabbing my supplies and hurrying out the door.

Class went by slowly as my mind drifted. Was Qrow alright? Did Ozpin really know what he was doing? If he caused any pain to either of my teammates, I wouldn't be pleased with him...

I arrived back to the dorm around afternoon. Tai wasn't anywhere to be found. Probably at his biology class. I sat my stuff near my bed and waited for his return. It was near late afternoon when he walked in the door.

"I never want to write another word on paper again," he said, tossing his things onto his bed.

"Oh come on, it couldn't have been that bad," I replied.

"I got two hand cramps in there... How does Raven manage to write so much in so little time?"

I shrugged. "Maybe she's a fast writer?"

"Maybe. Have you heard anything from Raven or Qrow yet?" Tai asked, looking at his scroll.

I shook my head. "No. Not yet. I'm starting to get a little worried. They left hours ago. Surely they'd be done by now..."

We ended up waiting until very late at night. Tai and I were both startled by the sound of the dorm door opening. Raven and Qrow walked in clumsily.

I quickly turned on the light to get a better look at them. Qrow looked to be a bit tired, but otherwise he looked fine. Raven, on the other hand, didn't. Her face was covered in sweat and she had dark bags underneath her crimson eyes. She looked like she had stayed awake for a week. Her expression was a mix between exhausted and pained. When she tried to take a few steps, she stumbled forward and nearly fell. Tai rushed towards her and caught her.

"Are you okay?" he asked, helping her stand back on her feet.

"I think we'll be fine," Qrow whispered. "It was just... a long process."

"What was it like?" I wondered, helping Qrow into his bed.

Qrow sighed heavily. "I couldn't tell you. It was like I was in some sort of trace-like state. After I came around, I felt strangely weak... and tired. I think it took more of a toll on my sister than me..."

I glanced over at Raven. She was already laying down in her bed asleep.

"Well, it looks like you two need plenty of rest. We can talk more about this in the morning," I said, walking over to my own bed and laying down.

I awoke early the next day. The sun was just peeking through the horizon outside the window.

"Morning Summer," a voice said.

I turned my head slightly to see Qrow sitting up in his bed. He looked a lot better.

"Good morning. You look a lot better today," I said, smiling.

He smiled back. "I feel a lot better. Looks like that rest helped a lot."

Raven was still sleeping in her bed. Her eyes still had dark circles under them and she was still sweating a little.

"Hey... is Raven okay?" I asked.

"I'm sure she's fine. She just needs a little more rest," Qrow reassured me.

"I hope so. She looked so pained last night..."

I saw Raven stir a bit before slowly opening her eyes.
"What... time is it?" she asked.

"It's half past seven," I answered.
"Are you feeling okay? You hardly spoke to us yesterday."

Raven sighed and slowly sat up.
"I was just... tired. That process was extremely draining. And painful too."

"It was? But Qrow said he didn't feel anything," I replied.

She nodded. "Yeah... My body has been hurting since last night. Must be getting used to the new magic, I guess."

"Sorry to interrupt sis, but Ozpin wants us in his office," Qrow said.

Raven pressed her fingers to her head. "Okay... just give me a moment to get ready."

"I hope this pain and exhaustion isn't
permanent," I said.

"I'm sure it's not. It's just our bodies getting used to the new magic I'm guessing," Qrow replied.

I stared at him, but said nothing as he and Raven left the room. After a few minutes, I started to walk towards the door. I felt a hand pull me back a little.

"Summer... what are you doing?"

I turned a little to see Tai behind me.

"I'm going to follow them," I replied simply.

Tai stared at me. "But what about what Ozpin said? He didn't want us in his office, remember?"

"So? The magic has already been transferred. Surely he'll let us watch our teammates train."

Tai slowly released his grip.
"Fine. But I'm coming along."

I smiled and ran out the door with Tai not too far behind me.