8 - the quarry

The day after Richie "came out" to Bill,
Beverly texted for everyone to meet at the quarry. Richie looked out his window to see the sky covered with gray clouds. Not a great day for the quarry, but might as well still meet up just to hang out.

He thought about how bill will find out if he's smart enough to notice. He hoped when he did find out, that he wouldn't make a scene about it and make it a big deal. Bill isn't that type of person though, that's why he went to him to talk about it.

They are supposed to meet at the quarry at 4:20, and it's 4 right now. It's Wednesday, which means they are leaving for the trip in two days. Richie is really looking forward to the trip, even though he still hasn't asked his parents. He figures if he just sneaks out and leaves they won't even notice. If he's at the house, he's almost always in his room which his parents never go into.

He was also hoping Eddie could come. Who knows if he even asked his mom yet, he gets nervous about asking about these type of things. Richie decides if Eddie hasn't asked yet he'll have to give him a pep talk today at the quarry.

• • •

Over at the Kaspbrak house, Eddie is already downstairs ready to go. He grabs a spray bottle of sunscreen, puts it in his fanny pack, and opens the door to leave

"Eddie bear, where are you going?" His mom stands up asking concerned

"Oh, I'm going to the quarry is that ok?"

His mom gasps "Oh Eddie! The quarry is dangerous! I don't want you jumping off those cliffs! Is that Tozier boy gonna be there? I told you he's a bad influence"

Eddie is now annoyed that she once again is calling Richie 'a bad influence'.
He's really not, and how would she know anyway? It's not like she takes the time to actually get to know him.

"Yes mommy, Richie is gonna be there but I won't be jumping off the cliffs, if I go in the water I will walk down the hill to it. I won't be jumping." He sighs

Sonia's standing there looking at him with narrow eyes, thinking it over. She stands there for what seems like forever staring at Eddie making him feel uncomfortable.

"Fine. Fine, but if I hear that the Tozier boy made you do anything, oh will I be mad" she finally says with a huff, walking back to the living room

"Thank you mommy!" He exclaims running out the door hoping on his bike already pedaling away. "and his name is Richie!"

• • • 

Eddie is the first one to the quarry, getting there at 4:10. Then Bev, then, Mike, then Stan, then Ben and Richie. Once they were all there, Bev layed out a big quilt and unfolded some lawn chairs. She also had a small cooler which she set next to the lawn chair she was about to sit in.

"So how's it going guys?" She says flipping her sunglasses on. Everyone mumbles good or fine or nods in agreement with someone else

"You guys excited for the cabin? I got my grandpas old van today from his farm. So now my cars up there at farm and I have to work with a van for a while now" she sighs, reaching into her cooler pulling out a soda. "Anyone else want soda? I got coke, Pepsi, and cherry coke"

Everyone nods and makes their way over grabbing a soda for themselves

"I-I am excited for the trip! I asked m-m-my mom and dad t-today and they said I could go" Bill tells Bev