Chapter 21 "Meeting the Family"

"That concludes today's lesson. And remember, just because your project isn't due for another couple weeks, doesn't mean you should procrastinate until the night before." My mother announced just as the bell rang, letting everyone in the room know they're free from the cell.

I shove my notebook and textbook inside my backpack and throw it over my shoulder before turning to see if Finn was ready to go.

Recently, Finn and I have been spending a lot of time together. Not just to work on our English project, but just to hang out.

As much of a total ass he is sometimes, he's not that bad to be around once you get over his huge ego.

Did I just say that?

"Alright, let's go Cupcake." Finn finally said, slinging his backpack on his right shoulder.

We walk out of the classroom together, heading down the hallway.

"So, same time tonight to work on our project? I got a couple ideas from the book we're reading-" Finn started, but I cut him of before he could finish.

"We always work at my house, let's work at yours tonight." I suggest, causing Finn to suddenly freeze in his place. "Finn?"

A couple people behind bump into him, cursing at him before going around.

As if suddenly realizing what was happening, he cleared his throat and began walking again.

"My house is boring, you don't want to go over there." He finally replied, his jaw stiff.

"That's obviously not the reason you don't want me over there. Spill the beans before I beat them out of you." I placed my hands on my hips, walking faster to keep up with him.

He ignores me so I grab him arm and yank him back, causing a traffic jam in the middle of the hall.

A couple people yell at us, but I ignore them and they eventually walk around us.

"Spill. Now." I demand, staring Finn straight in the eyes.

I learned this technique from my mother when my father tries to hide bad news from her.

It's usually something he did.

Finn bites the inside of his lip and lets out a breath, signaling my victory.

"I don't live with my parents," Finn starts. "I live with my uncle. Both my parents died in a car accident when I was four."

"That's awful-"

"No pity, please. I get enough of that from the guidance counselors."

I hold my hands up in surrender. "No pity, promise. But what does that have to do with me coming over to work on our project?"

"My uncle is a bit...weird." I raise a questionable eyebrow, urging him to go on. "He has a mental illness where his emotions are up and down. Bipolar disorder."

"And this affects me coming over because...?"

"You never know when he's going to switch, and it's really scary if your not used to it. I don't want you to get freaked out."

"Finn, I'm only going to be there a few hours and we can just lock ourselves in your room."

"But-"

"No buts, I'll meet you in the parking lot after school." I smile sweetly at him, pushing his shoulder lightly with mine as I walk by him right as the late bell rings.

~~~

Finn hauls his car to a stop in front of a large house. Not a mansion, but larger than the average home.