Chapter 29 "Stupid Mistakes"

"There you are." My mother exclaimed as I walked in the door. "Did you have any trouble at the bank?"

"Actually, I didn't go." I tell her slowly, sitting down on the couch.

She raises one eyebrow from the doorway of the kitchen. "Excuse me?" She quickly takes a seat on the couch next to me. "Where did you go?"

"I went to go see grandma. Your mom." Her eyes grow wide and she clenches her jaw.

"Zara, why the hell would you do that? I told you to stay away from her." She asked me, obviously irritated that I disobeyed her.

"She left me a note asking to meet me. Mom, she's homeless. She's living in an alleyway with nothing to eat and no home to sleep in. Why don't you help her?"

"She doesn't deserve the help." She tells me, her intense stare burning through my head.

"How could you say that? You're her daughter! I would help you if you lost all your money and had no place to live."

I couldn't believe her. I always thought my mother was the most kind person I've ever met. But now she's refusing to help her mother, who's living on the streets.

Even through the sounds of the door opening, our stare never breaks.

"Zara, you don't know everything." My mother reminded me, her voice loud and intense.

"What's going on here?" My father asked and we finally look over at him.

"Zara went to see my mother instead of going to the bank." My mother told him, throwing her hand in the air and letting it drop to her lap.

My father's eyes grow wide and he drops his briefcase on the coffee table.

"What have we told you about your grandmother? We told you to never go anywhere near her, and you totally disregarded us." My father said, folding his arms over his chest.

"What is wrong with you guys? She's going to die if she lives out there! She has no food and no shelter. She's living off of a pile of blankets." I took a deep breath. "So I gave her the money."

My mother stands up from the couch and rubs her hand over her face.

"You did what?" My father's voice boomed through the house.

I jump. He's never yelled at me before.

"I thought you'd be proud of me for doing something nice for someone in need! She obviously doesn't need it more than we do."

"Zara, you don't get it!" My mother yells, turning back to face me. "She manipulated you. She got fired from her job because she never showed up and she spent all her money on heroin!" She yelled, taking a breath while covering her mouth and turning around.

I clench my jaw and swallow hard, a lump suddenly forming in my throat.

I feel like an idiot. I let myself get manipulated, again.

How stupid can I be?

"I had no idea." I choke as a weight crashed onto my heart.

So this is what guilt feels like?

My mother swiftly grabbed her keys from the coffee table. "Let's go,you're taking me to her." She commanded as she opened the front door and left.

~~~

"There." I told me, clenching my jaw as I pointed down the alley.

There sat the same lady on her bundle of blankets. A string was tied around her upper arm, and that's when I noticed it. Used needles were scattered all over the ground.

How could I have not seen this before?

My mother grabbed my arm and dragged me down the alley until she stopped right in front of the woman.

"You make me sick." My mother announced, her jaw clenched as she stared at her own mother.

She looked up and smiled softly. "Oh, hi Bella."

"You're disgusting, you know that? Manipulating my innocent daughter into giving you money for you drugs. You should be ashamed of yourself." My mother spat and I noticed her face becoming slightly red with anger.

"Innocent?" She laughed maniacally. "She is anything but innocent. She ruined your life."

My eyebrows furrowed and I swallowed.

"I made a mistake in high school, but because of that mistake, I got the best thing that has ever happened to me." My mother snapped, squeezing my hand softly.

"Your mistake ended your modeling career and got me homeless with no money." The women snapped, standing up from her blanket oasis.

"You know what, just shut the fuck up." My mother snapped. "You are here because of the choices you've made."

"I'm here because of the stupid decision you made to have sex with that stupid boy and that stupid decision not to get rid of it. You were on your way of becoming a star, Bella! But you decided to ruin not only your life but my life when you had that stupid baby!" She yelled.

I shake my head and let go of my mother hand before running down the alley.

I heard the calls of my mother from behind me, but I ignored her.

There is only one place I want to be right now.

~~~

A.N~

Oh my lord, guys! "The Best Mistake" just reached 1 million reads!

I'm so thankful for all of you who read it and loved it as much as I do.

Chapter 29 is written and published. Hope you all enjoyed! <3

*Follow my social media's, all links are in my bio. :)

Questions:

-What do you think will happen next?

-What's your opinion on the story line so far?

-Who's your favorite character?