Chapter fourteen*

"Please allow me your attention for the remaining part of this evening. It's time for the Champions to be chosen." Humfrey's energetic voice echoed through the hall.

He walked, or rather skipped down the stairs, and continued on to the goblet at the center of the tables. "Well there isn't much more to it, so let's get started!" He placed his hand on the enlarged goblet made of stone, and the flame changed colors. After a few moments of flickering, a burst of sparks shot up and a paper swayed down to the floor.

"Our first champion from Durmstrang is... Amari Pindalo!" Humfrey announced. The hall erupted into applause, and an average height woman figure rose up from the table. She was very defined, and skin color a light shade of brown; her frizzy dark brown hair was tied into a high ponytail, and had warmth in her chocolate colored eyes. The two shook hands, and after shaking the hand of each person at the front table, Amari continued to a room behind them. Hermione massaged her hand a bit after. That woman had a strong grip.

Again, the goblet glowed red, and a paper emerged. "The champion from Beauxbatons...Clarissa Belrose!" A slim girl with very distinct curves rose to her feet and walked forward. Clarissa couldn't be any older than a fourth year, more likely a third year. Her silky, stick straight, light blonde hair fell all the way down her back, and bluish-purplish eye color resembled a galaxy.

"Nice to meet you." She said politely as she shook hands with Humfrey. He gestured for her to move towards the room Amari was waiting in, and so she traveled up to shake hands with the front table, then continued into the room.

"And finally our last Champion from Hogwarts...Theodore Nott!"

Harry froze, and forks from Hogwarts students clattered to their plates leaving a ringing silence. A thin boy who returned to Hogwarts to redo his seventh year got up. Everybody remembered how his parents were death eaters, and his great distaste of muggle-borns.

Theodore's long brown hair fell down to just above his shoulders, and nobody was impressed by his stringy appearance. He smirked and swaggered over to Humfrey. Theodore made brief eye contact with him before striding up to the table. He nodded in greeting to everybody and stopped at Hermione. They made eye contact and he shook her hand. The look he gave her was very unnerving, and seemed somewhat familiar but Hermione couldn't place on a finger of what it was from. She snatched her hand away, and he headed for the back door.

"Are you alright?" Draco frowned, seeing her shudder. He had glared at his old friend's retreating back until he had disappeared behind the door.

"Fine." Hermione said shortly.

"We now have our three champions who will compete to win this coveted item. One that will have great value, and can never be given away...the Triwizard cup!" Humfrey caused a sheet to fly off of the concealed trophy, and dramatically dimmed the lights. "This will be won through a series of three events. As said before, each champion will be mentored by the former champion of their school. The winner will receive 1,000 galleons, and eternal boasting rights! Now I'm sure you all have some studying to do! So off to bed! And as of now, the Triwizard tournament has begun." Humfrey finished ominously.

Benches scraped back and hoards of students began to move out the hall. Hermione couldn't stop thinking about how familiar Theodore's expression was. But she knew she had only seen him in passing, or when he was calling her rude names.

"What are you thinking about?" Draco asked as they walked towards the back room alongside the rest of the front table.

"There's something really familiar about the look he gave me but I can't remember what it was from."

"Do you want to go back to the dorm or something? I'll just fill you in when I get back." Draco offered.

"I'll be fine." Hermione said as they entered. Harry looked in a bad mood as he stood in silence next to Theodore, Viktor had engaged in an intense conversation with Amari, and Fleur looked condescendingly at Clarissa.

"Congratulations to all of you for being chosen by the goblet. I'm sure this year is going to be packed with a lot of excitement! Over the next few months you'll be able to bond with your assigned champion, and share things with them. The first task won't be taking place until late November so don't worry about that yet. Well that's all I have to say! Goodnight!" Humfrey smiled and left the room, with the other two heads following behind.

The rest of the room was standing in shocked silence. Once they finally snapped out of it, they left the room.

"So Humfrey is...interesting." Amari said distastefully.

"He's a complete nutter." Theodore sneered.

"Watch your tongue." Harry warned.

"Yes. You both need to respect the Headmasters. Especially the one who's providing you food and a home for the whole year." Viktor said.

"Well this is where we take our leave. Goodnight." Hermione waved. They muttered goodbyes, and the young witch made eye contact with Theodore once again. It sent a shiver up her spine, and she walked away quickly. Draco matched her strides, all the way to their portrait.

"I need sleep. It's been a long day." Hermione said as they went up their separate staircases.

"I agree. " Draco went into his room, but couldn't stop thinking about Theodore's behavior towards Hermione.

After getting washed up and putting his pajama pants on, he turned off the lights and laid in his bed. Why did Theodore pay so much attention to Hermione? It's not like he had seen her at all since sixth year probably, and he despised her so why would he shake her hand at the table?

In the room across from his, Hermione was having similar thoughts.

Hermione racked her brain trying to think of a past encounter with Theodore that would explain some things. Why it made her feel unsafe, and why his touch felt familiar. She drifted off, and in the edge of her mind, a darkness was growing. But there was something new this time. A face that she couldn't make out. As soon as she thought she could see it clearly, it vanished. Hermione shuddered, and fell into a deep sleep full of dark thoughts and memories.