Chapter forty eight*

"Ready...set...go!" Hermione yelled.

Madam Maxime instantly struggled against the power of the two men fighting to travel the opposite way she was, and the schools erupted in laughter. Beauxbatons began a chant for their Headmistress as she began to make way to their table. The papers had begun to rain down and she had managed to grab a few already.

"Thirty seconds left!" Hermione announced.

Madam Maxime pulled herself ahead step by step, managing to grab more and more of the papers. It had seemed she only needed seven more to have a full team.

"Ten seconds!" Hermione begun a countdown out loud and the whole hall joined in.

"Zero!" Everyone finished and all the slips aside from the ones Madam Maxime held in her hand had vanished.

"Time to read off the names! It seems you have gotten eighteen people to be on the Beauxbatons team for this game!" Hermione smiled.

"Clarisse Olim, Rebecca Skloot, Raquel Davis..." Draco continued reading the names until all eighteen had been announced. The Beauxbatons table got very excited, and discussed what they hoped the game would be like.

The same process was repeated with the other two Headmasters. Chris was the only one who managed to grab all twenty papers for his team. Humfrey was great at dueling, and wasn't exactly out of shape, but in comparison to Madam Maxime and Chris he was like a thin branch compared to tree trunks. He managed to grab fifteen of the papers.

The names of the competitors were announced, and Hermione excitedly pulled out her paper containing an overview of what would happen for the game.

"All of the students to participate today are now chosen! It's time to get the game started! Everyone out to the quidditch pitch! If you are a competitor, please come to the front for further instructions." Hermione said brightly.

The Hall began to clear out and Hermione recounted to ensure there was at least two
of each color for each school. Once everyone came to the front that was to participate in the game, Hermione began to explain.

"The game is an obstacle course. This will test your abilities as a witch or wizard. It will start with the first years facing their obstacles, followed by the second, then third, and so on until seventh years are done. The difficulty will increase with every year. First school to finish, is the winner of this game. Two more games will follow this one, and the school that has one the most will win bragging rights! And a nice trophy to display wherever the Headmaster chooses."

"The Quidditch pitch has been divided into three sections, with seven rooms in a straight line in each one, all going from one, closest to you all, to seven which is the furthest. Each room has an open ceiling so all the spectators can watch, and is also sound proofed so you won't be able to hear anything outside of it." Draco continued.

"What are the obstacles?" One of the students from Beauxbatons asked.

"You'll find out when we get out there." Draco shrugged. "It's a surprise."

"Anything else?" Hermione asked.

"Will we be waiting in the room assigned to our year?" a Hogwarts student asked.

"No. You all will be waiting outside the first room. Whoever is supervising your school's section will let you know when the next year in line can run through to get to their room. It'll make more sense once we get out there." Draco explained.

"Okay let's go!" Hermione led the way out and the group made their way to the quidditch pitch. Each school divided into smaller groups based on their year, and were discussing everything they had learned up to that point. The magic curriculum was universal in all schools, so every year knew and had been learning the same things.

"Ohhhh." a first year from Durmstrang said as they got onto the field. The explanation made a lot more sense.

"The order goes Beauxbatons, Hogwarts, then Durmstrang. Please go to your school's designated area." Hermione instructed, and walked over to the Durmstrangs.

Draco was supervising Beauxbatons, and Professor McGonagall was supervising Hogwarts. Nobody would dare accuse her of having any bias for her own school. The Gryffindors could attest to that fact. 

"All you need to do is complete your task." Hermione said, magnifying her voice with a spell. "Red sparks will fly up out of your room when you complete the task written out on a piece of paper, and the supervisor for that school will allow the next year students to go through the doors to their room. The first school's seventh years that finish their task and pass through the last door win! Participants are you ready?" Hermione looked down and they all nodded. "Draco? Professor McGonagall?" The two nodded.

"On your marks, get set, start!" Hermione unlocked the first set of doors and the first years scrambled through.