Chapter forty three*

"He what?" Professor McGonagall closed the portrait behind her to ensure Hermione couldn't hear.

"I was just informed. He was being escorted on his way to the trial, but just - vanished. Or at least that's the story the ministry is going with. I suspect that they didn't assign good aurors for the escort because of the recent threats to the school and the added security." Humfrey cast a side glance to an auror walking past and they stood in silence until he was out of earshot.

"There's no way he can get into this castle. Besides, we have more important things to worry about." Professor McGonagall shook her head disdainfully.

"You know as well as I that there's a very slim chance that we will defeat them, or keep them out of the castle."

"More people could be killed that way compared to if we waited for them to try and take kids."

"We could pick them off when they come in to try and get students." Humfrey suggested.

"Hermione's the first one though." Professor McGonagall said hesitantly.

"Exactly. They said she'd be the first. So all we have to do is protect her and ambush them when they come."

"I don't like it."

"It may be our best option. I'll go tell Kingsley. Whether you tell Hermione about Theodore or not is your choice, but I advise you to tell her about the plan. It is happening tomorrow at sunset after all." Humfrey said over his shoulder as he swiftly walked away.

Professor McGonagall let out a big sigh and walked back into the dorm. Couldn't they have one second of peace? Was that too much to ask for?

"What was that about?" Hermione asked curiously.

"I have to tell you something. And it's going to be hard to hear." Professor McGonagall started.

"Tell me." Hermione tried to analyze the woman's face for a sign of what she was about to say.

"That night the alarm went off...it wasn't a false alarm."

"What do you mean? I heard it was some prefects who thought it was intruders but it was really Fred and George."

"Well it was the first time. Have you heard of the coven?"

"I've read something about them before. I can't remember what. It was something about the original students - no Slytherins - of the school right?"

"Yes. They were thought to have been defeated by Godric Gryffindor."

"What do you mean thought to have been defeated?" Hermione frowned.

"They're back. They've made threats."

"What kind of threats?"

"Against anybody that is not a pureblood. They said if we didn't kill everyone first, they would come and do it...starting with you." Professor McGonagall added hesitantly.

"Me? Why would they specify me?" Hermione asked casually, trying to mask the fear that was taking a hold inside her.

"Hermione you defy the odds. You didn't come from a wizarding family yet you had a key role in Voldemort's demise. With him being a descendant of Salazar Slytherin, and the "heir of Slytherin", that does not make you favorable in their eyes."

"When are they coming for me?"

"We have until tomorrow when the sun sets. I talked with Humfrey and I think we're going to wait for them to come to you and trap and kill them, or at least keep them contained until we figure out a way to do it."