Chapter thirty four*

"Poppy." Professor McGonagall ran into the hospital wing with Hermione in her arms, and the people that went and resided at Hogwarts followed her in. With the exception of the remaining Order of the Phoenix who decided to come as well.

"You got her?" Madam Pomfrey came quickly it of her office and gestured to a bed for her to put Hermione down in.

"Yes but she's not-herself." Remus hesitated before deciding on the last word.

Kingsley bound Hermione to the bed since Remus didn't have the heart.

"What do you mean?" Madam Pomfrey asked sharply.

"It's like she doesn't know who she is. She was denying that Hermione was her name, yet couldn't tell us what she thinks it is. She was under the illusion that we tried to get her killed, abused her, and shamed her. I don't know what's wrong with her." said Professor McGonagall. 

"Stand back and let me examine her." Madam Pomfrey had just finished hooking Hermione up to different medical equipment and begun a physical examination. At last, she stepped back looking troubled.

"Just say it. Don't try and sugar coat it." said Remus.

"Well...she's been brainwashed."

"What do you mean brainwashed? What is that?" Mrs. Weasley questioned.

"It normally happens to prisoners of war in the muggle world. They lose a sense of who they are, and their past memories can be manipulated. For example someone who was fighting for the Order of the Phoenix can suddenly turn and center their life around protecting Voldemort." Madam Pomfrey explained. "I suspect that the helare caused her to be more susceptible to being brainwashed and that's why Mr. Nott was able to do it in such a short amount of time."

"Is there a way to cure her?" Harry asked.

"I'd have to read more about it. You see, brainwashing is never used in the wizarding world since the imperious curse exists." Madam Pomfrey said doubtfully.

"How long would it take for her to recover?" Humfrey for once wasn't joking around.

"It could take days, months, or even years." Madam Pomfrey shrugged.

"I'll help read about it." Remus volunteered.

"So will I." Ginny inputted.

"And what will we do in the meantime?" Humfrey frowned.

"I'm not sure. I could just keep her on sedatives until we figure out how to treat it." said Madam Pomfrey.

"Very well. Just try and figure out the next step soon." Professor McGonagall took a seat next to Hermione, obviously intending to stay.

"Alright. Everyone get on with your days then. If you volunteered to do research, please stay behind and sort out who will look up what, and where. Goodbye." Humfrey nodded and walked off to his office.

"I suppose I'll see everyone later. I need to go deal with Mr. Nott." Kingsley waved and walked out. The rest waved and walked out leaving Ginny, Remus, Madam Pomfrey, and Professor McGonagall behind.

"Well I suppose we're going to have to use muggle sources." Madam Pomfrey started.

"I can go to Saint Mungos and see what they know there." Remus suggested.

"Yes. And Ginny you can look in the restricted section of the library." Madam Pomfrey instructed. "I'll look on the muggle web or whatever they call it."

"Sounds good. I'll notify you guys if I find anything. Also I may pay a visit to a muggle library." Remus waved and walked out.

"I suppose I should return to my classes." Ginny sighed as she checked the clock. If she left she still had two classes she would need to sit through.