Chapter sixty

Thankfully, the death eaters never came, and everybody was evacuated safely to the Hogwarts hospital wing. Kingsley formally thanked everybody for fighting, and those that didn't need more treatment went home with the exception of the Order of the Phoenix who stayed behind to help and talk to Kinglsey.

"We should be getting back home," Molly said eventually.

"I agree. These people need rest, and so do we." Arthur agreed.

"We aren't as young as we used to be." Remus sighed.

"You and Tonks should come and have dinner with us for a late Christmas celebration," Molly invited. "There are no kids around anymore, so it's been getting a bit lonely. Teddy can come too of course."

"Sorry Molly, but I must be getting back to talk to the security staff for Hogwarts. Remus can go though."

"I can? Uh - I mean of course I can. Thanks, Molly." Remus adjusted his attitude after a jab in the side from Tonks.

"Teddy is with my mother, so there's no need to feed him. He can stay with her. Anyway, I need to go. Bye!" Tonks turned to walk out the doors but crashed into a bedside table in her haste. "Whoops. Sorry." she grinned and continued out.

"I'm mad for that woman." Remus shook his head smiling.

"Well let's be off then. Let us know if you hear anything about Hermione or another attack they're planning." Molly instructed Kingsley.

They bade their farewells and walked out of the hospital wing. They made their way out of the castle and past the apparition charms. Arthur offered his arms to both of his companions, and they apparated back home to the burrow.

"What shall we be having for dinner?" Arthur asked as they made their way to the house past the protective enchantments.

"I was going to make some soup and -" Molly froze dead in her tracks. "Do - do you hear that?"

The sound of choking and gasping was faint, but there.

"Come on." Remus had a newfound spring in his step and sprinted towards the noise.

"Remus! You don't know who that is! What if they're not friendly?" Arthur yelled.

"Let's go." Molly charged after him, and Arthur followed her without hesitation.

"Sweet Merlin." Remus' face went deathly pale.

"What is it? Who is it?" Molly was slightly out of breath by the time she got to him and she looked down. It was Hermione, her eyes barely open and she was gasping for air. She had filthy rags on that barely covered her body, bruises everywhere, and she was bleeding out onto the ground.

"We need to get her into the house right now." Arthur urged.

"I'll get her." Remus conjured a blanket and wrapped it around Hermione.

"Who are you? Get off me. Don't touch me." Hermione protested feebly.

"Hermione? Hermione look at me. It's Remus." Remus said gently.

"Re-Remus? I - I made it?" Hermione said faintly.

"Yes Hermione. You made it back to us. Now let us take care of you. Just try and stay awake." Remus scooped her up in his arms and she flinched initially at the touch but then went limp, the exhaustion finally overcoming her.

"Now just stay with us, Hermione. Try and stay alive." Molly said as they ran back to the burrow.

"What do we do?" Arthur looked worried.