I Need Your Love...

Gilbert's POV

I quickly walked up the steps, seeing Anne from the corner of my eye following me.

I'll admit I was a bit mean towards her. But, I had every right to be. I mean I basically told her that I wanted to talk about the kiss. Doesn't that imply that I like her?

I sighed as I sat down on a seat.

"Hello." said Anne as she sat next to me.

"There are other seats for you to sit here." I said, slowly implying that I wanted to stay alone.

"I want to stay here." said Anne as she looked at her feet.

"Do whatever you want." I said as I went to read my book but Anne took it from my grip.

"Gilbert. We need to talk." said Anne, firmly.

"We talked already. We wouldn't want you to make another mistake, now would we?" I asked, sarcastically.

"I'm so sorry that I didn't realize..." said Anne and I sighed.

"What are you talking about?"

"I didn't know that you liked liked me." said Anne and I coughed on my own spit.

"W-who told you that?" I asked, terrified.

"Diana." I'm going to kill Charlie. This is not a way to impress your crush.

"What do you think about that? I mean if it was true?" I asked, scared of her answer.

"Is it true?" asked Anne and I knew that the answer she wanted wasn't the real one.

"Do you want to it be true?" I asked, avoiding to tell her the truth.

"I mean I love having you as a friend." said Anne as she played with her braids.

"Friends? After all we've been through? Anne...I need to say something to you." I said as I saw Anne panic.

"Oh, don't say it," cried Anne, pleadingly. "Don't -- PLEASE, Gilbert."

Me and Anne stood up.

"I must. Things can't go on like this any longer. Anne, I love you. You know I do. I -- I can't tell you how much. Will you promise me that some day you'll be with me?"

"I -- I can't," said Anne miserably. "Oh, Gilbert -- you -- you've spoiled everything."

"Don't you care for me at all?" I asked after a very dreadful pause, during which Anne had not dared to look up.

"Not -- not in that way. I do care a great deal for you as a friend. But I don't love you, Gilbert."

"But can't you give me some hope that you will -- yet?"

"No, I can't," exclaimed Anne desperately. "I never, never can love you -- in that way -- Gilbert. You must never speak of this to me again. We can be best friends."

I gave a bitter little laugh.

"Friends! Your friendship can't satisfy me, Anne. I want your love -- and you tell me I can never have that."

"I'm sorry, Gilbert." said Anne as her voice shook.

"There's nothing to be sorry about, Anne." I said  as I took a step back, I looked at her once more and then at my feet. I turned around and slowly walked away.

"GILBERT!" cried Anne, but I simply ignored her.

"Anne?" asked Cole as he approached her.

"What's wrong?" asked Jerry.

Diana simply put a hand on her shoulder.

"What happened?" asked Brian and I saw Anne turn and yell.

"IT'S NONE OF YOUR BUSSINESS" and run away.

I immediately run outside, trying to avoid any awkward situations with Anne.

But, I heard Anne coming outside and I saw her sitting on the corner as she started to sob. Clutching to the necklace Marilla and Matthew got her. While, whispering "I miss the way Gilbert's hand felt in mine while we were on the train."

I started to sob as I sat at the corner and I heard steps approaching me.

Anne saw me sobbing whilst holding my jacket close to me, looking for some kind of comfort.

I quickly stood up and was about to leave when she run and put her arms around my waist from behind.

"I-I can't lose you too. I won't lose you. Please, don't leave me." She held onto me tightly, scared that I would disappear from her fingertips as my jacket started to get soaked with her tears.

"Anne..." I sighed as I tried to pull myself from her grip.

"I lost you for about ten years and I'm not planing on losing you again." said Anne.

"Anne. Let me go, please you're hurting me." I said as mine and Anne's sobs got louder.

"I will never let you go. Not now that I have you. I need you." whispered Anne as she put her head on my shoulder.

"Anne. You're going to get a cold. It's November." I said, noticing that she wasn't wearing a jacket.

"I don't care." said Anne as she waited for me to speak.

"Let me turn around." I sighed and she listened to me.

"Please..." whimpered Anne and it pained me to see her like that.

"Anne, I can't do this. I need time. You should respect it. I'm sorry but I... can't." I said, defeated.

Anne nodded as she looked down and let go of me.

"Someday?" asked Anne, hopefully.

"Someday." I nodded.

She gave me a small smile to which I returned.

"Hey, guys. Come inside. We will be at Avonlea in less than half an hour. You should come and watch. It's a beautiful sight." said Josie as she came towards us.

Anne let her arm out and I linked my arm with her.

We started to walk towards them and I could feel Anne's exhaustion, as she put her head on my shoulder.

I smiled down at her as I sighed.

Anne, little did you know, how much these little moments mean to me.

SURPRISE CHAPTER. I WON'T POST THE NEXT ONE FOR ABOUT ONE TO THREE DAYS SO EVERYBODY CAN HAVE THE CHANCE TO WRITE THEIR THEORY. WHY DO YOU THINK THAT THEY HAVE TO GO BACK? ♥ Please do let me know. It will be more exciting for you this way,some of these lines are based on the book.