Tragedy Is Painted In Dark Red

Anne's POV

I was looking at the sea as we were a little bit far from the shore.

"It's strange to love a place like you would a person, but I do!" I said as I let out a sigh.

"Who do you love, Anne?" asked Gilbert, curiously.

"I love Marilla, Matthew, Diana, Jerry, Charlie, Ruby, Brian and you..."

"M-Me?" asked Gilbert startled.

"Of course, I love you...as a friend." I said, shamefully.

Gilbert sighed and was about to say something when the boat came to a stop.

"It's best if we go..." said Gilbert, dissapointed.

I would've told him that I loved him as more than a friend, but it would have been a lie...

So, I just sighed and followed him down the steps.

"We have to take a train again..." said Ruby as she put her head on Jerry's shoulder, trying to stay away.

It wasn't hard to notice Jerry's faint blush on his cheeks.

Then, I saw Charlie and Diana approaching us while holding hands and having the widest smiles I have ever seen on a person's face before.

"At least some people got together..." said Billy as he gave a side look to Josie.

"W-we are not together." stuttered Diana as she blushed.

"Then why are you holding hands?" asked Gilbert as he raised his eyebrow.

"Her hand started to feel heavy... So, I held it?" asked Charlie with a worried smile.

"It can't be that. You guys are actually  using the 'reinforcement' hand holding." I said, as I continued looking at them.

"What's that?" asked Charlie.

"Well, she said you are holding Diana's hand like that. Look at your hands and I think you'll find out." said Jerry as quietly as possible, since Ruby had fallen asleep on his shoulder.

"It means that your relationship is getting serious." winked Gilbert.

"How can you possibly know that?" I asked, annoyed that he knew something that I didn't.

"I'm Avonlea's future doctor. I'm supposed to know these things." said Gilbert with a proud smile as he looked down at me.

I was about to answer him back, but the bus stopped right in front of us.

"I'm going inside." said Josie as she waved her hands in the air.

"Right behind you." said Charlie and Diana as the run after her.

"I guess I'm going to carry her inside." said Jerry as he picked our dear Ruby up, bridal style.

"How romantical..." I whispered.

"You would have that too, if you stopped running away from it." said Gilbert as he walked inside.

I just froze at my place, trying to understand the meaning behind his words, until I followed him inside.

I sat at the very end, not talking to anybody. Finally having the time to get lost in my happy place, my imagination.

I looked in front of me and I met Gilbert's eyes, but it was only for a quarter of a second. I sighed and looked outside the window.....