Poems And Friendships

Anne's POV

Matthew was finally asleep. The doctor decided that it would be for the best if he stayed for the day, in case of a sudden emergency.

Mrs Lynde, kindly offered him to stay at her house since one of her kids had already been married and had a son.

"So, I'll go now." said the doctor.

"Yes... Is it certain that he will be okay? I mean..." I said as I followed him to the door.

"He is going to be just fine." said the doctor and a sighted in relief.

"Thank you, doctor." I said with a kind smile.

"Don't thank me... Thank the medicine he had on his nightstand. They are awfully expensive." said the doctor as he took his hat off and walked outside.

"Medicine?" I asked, confused as I sat on a chair.

"Hello, carrots." said Gilbert as he sat next to me.

"Matthew got better because of some kind of medicine. Something about his nightstand. The doctor said that, that's what saved him." I said as I turned to look at Gilbert and he was looking at his feet.

"I might of know a little bit about that." mumbled Gilbert.

"Was it you?" I asked and Gilbert nodded.

"That kind of medicine helps with blood pressure... My dad has been taking them for about seven years now." said Gilbert as he played with his hands.

"I-I didn't know..." I started to say, shamefully.

"You shouldn't. It was my problem and I deal with it. End of the story, it's in the past, he is better now that he still takes the medicine." said Gilbert as he avoided any eye contact.

"What if we were just lucky?"

"What do you mean?" asked Gilbert, confused.

"What if this was the beginning..." I said as my hands started shaking in realization and absolute agony.

"Then, we will get through it together." said Gilbert as he held my hands in order to give me some sort of comfort close.

"You don't know that..." I whispered as I let go of his hands to wipe the tears that had fallen from my face.

"Well, I'm sitting next to you, aren't I?" asked Gilbert as he got closer to my face, trying to make some sort of eye contact.

"I'm sorry for all the trouble, I've caused you all these years." I said as I finally looked at him.

"You shouldn't apologize for needing a friend." answered Gilbert as he held me from the side.

"Are you going to stay?" I asked with a small voice.

"Anne... Me and you will never be the same. As close... That doesn't mean that I don't want you to come when you need someone's help or just to talk." said Gilbert with a breathtaking smile.

"You're a strong person." I said, admiring him.

"That's because you hold me together." said Gilbert as I put my head on his shoulder.

"I need you..." I whispered.

"I'm not going anywhere." said Gilbert as he let go of the hug and kissed my forehead.

Then, he lowered his head to my eye level and smiled.

"Carrots and slate face will be okay." said Gilbert as he chuckled, nodding in order to let me know that it was my turn to say it.

"Carrots and slate face will be okay." I said with a giggle.

Then, he took a step back and stood up whilst I did the same thing too.

"I should probably check on my parents..." whispered Gilbert.

"Yes, you should." I said as I went to open the door for him but as soon as I looked back, I saw him holding my notebook.

"You write poetry?" asked Gilbert as he looked at my work in awe.

"No." I said sharply as I took my notebook from Gilbert's grasp.

"You've got to tell me one." said Gilbert.

"No." I said and Gilbert simply sat down.

"Then, I guess I'm not leaving... Let's talk about the whole mud situation--" Gilbert started to say but I cut him off.

"Your eyes are as green as a nature. Your hair as brown as my stack of books. Your heart as warm as your smile. I wish you would be my dragon slayer and I would be your little redhead girl." I said as I quickly shut my notebook.

"Who did you write it about?" asked Gilbert with a smirk.

"My...imaginary friend?" I asked and Gilbert started to laugh.

"I didn't know I had so much of a competition." said Gilbert as he skipped to the door, said a quick goodbye and disappeared.

"So..." said Jerry as he came into the room and I jumped in fright.

"JERRY." I yelled in fear and he started to laugh.

"You were like..." said Jerry and he made a scared yet blushing face, making his point by pointing at his cheeks.

"WE ARE JUST FRIENDS." I yelled as I left the room and went towards Marilla's.

"So, friends are flirting now?" asked Jerry and I could hear his smug smile in his voice.

"I don't know. You should ask yourself that. Mr 'Ruby is just a friend, but I carry her so she will enjoy her sleep' Baynard." I yelled after him and I smiled in pride when he didn't say anything else.

I knocked on Marilla's door and no one replied.

I decided to go to Matthew's room to make sure he was alright and the sight in front of me, was both beautiful but heartbreaking.

Marilla was holding his hand, whilst sitting on a chair, as she has fallen asleep on the side of the bed.

I saw a small notebook on the floor and I picked it up.

"Michael died today. Mum seems to be in a lot of pain. I don't know how to talk to her. She hasn't talked every since this tragedy. I hope she finally talks so we can all help each other. Right now, I am taking care of Matthew. I always put on a fake smile when Matthew is around, but when he isn't, I break down in tears. - MC"

Marilla, you poor soul. You have gone through so much, yet you hide it in your heart. The love she has for everybody is beautiful and she had every right to be angry all the time, yet he chose love over hate.

I run towards Marilla and I sat on the chair next to her. I put my head on her shoulder and held both Marilla's and Matthew's hands. Before, I realized it. I have fallen asleep. In a room with the people who helped me grow into who I am today.

What was your favourite thing about this chapter? I tried to write poetry again. Not my best work yet. 😂