I Never Meant To Break Your Heart

Anne's POV

I just started throwing everything I found in front of me, when I came across a picture of me and Gilbert.

I stared at it for a few moments, before I cut it in half and threw it out the window.

My eyes started to get filled with tears again, but I was trying to replace my sadness with anger... I wasn't doing the best job at it.

How could he?

After everything we've been through, he couldn't even last a few minutes.

"Anne. You know me better than that. I can't lose you... I-I didn't even get to have you for more than five minutes. Open the door angel so we can talk." I heard him plead but all I did was sob.

The next thing I knew was Gilbert banging on the door.

Why did he come?

He should go and kiss that 'friend' of his.

"Angel, open the door. " I heard him say but I tried to block his voice out, as I sat on the ground trying to calm myself down.

"Anne, is Diana." I heard Diana say and I run and opened the door, pulling Diana in and locking it once again.

I was about to speak when...

The next thing I knew was Gilbert shouting.

"VIOLET WRIGHT." and it went downhill from there. But, I didn't bother myself to care.

He can't blame her. She wasn't kissing thin air. They were kissing each other.

Gilbert needs to grow up and admit his mistake.

I guess I didn't know he was the cheater type.

"I think you should let him explain." said Diana as she pulled me in a hug.

"I would rather stay in my room forever, than forgive a person as heartless as Gilbert Blythe." I said as disgust fell from my voice.

Diana looked at me shocked and sighed.

Then, I heard the door downstairs slam loudly. I guess Gilbert left already.

"We are actually going back to how things used to be?" asked Diana with sad eyes.

"I was just saying that I would ignore him, but going back to hating him sounds like the better choice. Thank you, Diana." I said as I stood up and cleaned myself up.

"W-What? No. Let's talk about it. Gilbert will literally kill me. Cole will arrange my funeral." said Diana as she started to pace.

"There's nothing to talk about. From now on, it will be Mr Blythe or Gilbert Blythe. Now, if you will excuse me, I have guests downstairs." I said and I went to open the door.

"I am dead..." said Diana as she followed me down the stairs.

"ANNE." said Gilbert as he run towards me.

I held my hand up, silencing him and walked towards Cole and hugged him.

"Please, take me somewhere." I whispered, Cole sighed nodding and let go of the hug.

"Let's talk this out, please." said Gilbert as his voice shook and he walked towards me, holding my arm firmly but needy.

"There's nothing to talk about Mr Blythe." I said formally and pulled his arm away.

Gilbert's eyes widen and his eyes started to fill with tears.

"What are you doing, Anne?" asked Gilbert, helplessly.

"It's Miss Shirley to you." I said harshly and Gilbert flinched.

"Angel, just listen to me." said Gilbert as tears started to blind my vision.

"I-I'm done listening to you and your excuses, Mr Blythe. Our 'relationship' was obviously a bad idea. I was correct and you weren't. Now, let me go. I have to be somewhere." I said as I saw Gilbert's eyes watering.

"It's not. If you just let me explain. I promise I've got a good explanation." said Gilbert as he took a step closer, but I took a step back.

"Goodbye." I said as I pulled Cole and Diana out the door.

"She is so close, yet she is so untouchable that it breaks me." Gilbert said quietly. "If I love her, then I should let her go. That's what my mum taught me." I heard Gilbert say as he sniffled then, I heard Charlie's answer before I completely walked away.

"That's stupid. If you love her, you should spend everyday of your life, proving her that you do. When she pushes you away, you should push back, so you can keep her in your life."

I sighed as I put my head on Cole's shoulder.

"Anne." said Gilbert as he pulled me lightly towards him.

He was out of breath.

Why couldn't he just give up?

"He deserves a chance. He basically run here. I barely stand up in the morning." said Cole as he pointed at Gilbert.

"That's because you are lazy." said Diana with a smug smile.

"It's because I'm... getting my beauty sleep. I don't know why... I'm already the most handsome guy in Avonlea." said Cole as he looked up and swiftly walked away with Diana.

Smart move, MacKenzie.

"One minute." I said as I crossed my arms and Gilbert's face made a pout.

"I need a bit more time."

"57 seconds."

"I-"

"51-"

"Violet kissed me." said Gilbert as he looked at me.

"You kissed her back."

"I didn't."

"Why should I believe you?"

"Have I ever lied to you?"

"Well, you did lie about drinking your tea with milk and being good in dancing and wanting to become a doctor and-"

"Okay, maybe a little bit." said Gilbert and I scoffed. "I'm not lying about this."

"I can't trust you, Gilbert."

"You don't have a reason not to."

"It doesn't matter." I said and Gilbert looked away thoughtfully.

"What are you doing?"

"Thinking..." said Gilbert and I looked at him hopelessly.

"I've got to go. When you have proof come and find me, until then... Do us both a favor and leave me alone." I said with a harsh tone and run away before Gilbert could say anything.

I

had to run away or else I would break down right in front of him... I don't want him to see me like that. I guess I don't trust him that much anymore, if at all.

Posted today. WOOOO. Have a nice day. ♥