Chapter 85 - Snow and Sleet

I couldn't very well stroll directly into the center of a gay moshpit, so I had to wait for Nick to separate himself. Finally, he did, by walking to the bar, and ordering nothing, being so afraid of alcohol as he is. 

I walked down the stairs and took the straight path directly to Nick, who gave a sigh of relief.

"There are some real charmers here, but none in a very dependent manner. None that strike me as homicidal," Nick said. 

"I've been given a list. I need to cross-examine it with Connor," I explained.

"Can we do it in the morning? Gay clubbing is hard," Nick sighed.

"Let's go. I'll order a taxi," I responded.

"Good deal," Nick answered. We left out the door, and frankly, I didn't feel like changing. I grabbed my suit and walked quickly to the curb where I paced for a minute. The taxi had yet to pull up. 

Nick had already pulled away, understanding that I am capable of taking care of myself. Unfortunately, being out here, alone, is giving me anxiety. Besides for the music coming from the club, the streets were quiet. Nobody was walking by, and before I knew it, I was thinking about Amanda and my evil twin. It's almost like...I had to. Like I didn't have a choice. I didn't organically think about them. They had popped into my head and remained. For minutes, that felt like hours. The only thing between my racing thoughts of imprisonment and death was the sound of dress shoes hitting the pavement. Like when Connor and I had chased that android who was with her daughter. Or like when Simon had led me to the precinct. Some form of typical android uniform shoes...hitting the pavement. The pacing similar to mine, but quicker. More mechanical and patterned, in fact. 

The thoughts started to blot out my vision. Before I knew it, I had almost nearly lost consciousness. Darkness, and cold like the place where Amanda left me, but the loud, blasting sound of shoes. 

Suddenly, it left me. Nothing at all. No sound, darkness. Just everything back to normal. Looking around, I finally spotted blonde hair as it turned the corner. 

She's closer. Closer than I expected, in fact. She's tracing me...well...she's closer than that. She found me. She had before with Connor, but now she's hurting me. Cyberlife's last bastion of hope, here to take me down, the thing that everyone thought was Cyberlife's last bastion of hope. Isn't that dark?

Turning back to face the street, my taxi had pulled up. I have to go see Connor. If not just to find this homicidal maniac, then to hope he can help me with the CR400. He may not solve it, but he can help me. I climbed into the taxi, taking it to Hank's house. 

I knocked on the door, and unsurprisingly, Hank answered. Surprisingly, he was not drunk. Hank looked me up and down. "Not in my house," he said confused.

"Nick and I just came from undercover, Hank," I rolled my eyes.

"Oh. Yeah, that makes sense," He answered, fully opening the door. Somehow, you could see the exact difference between Hank and Connor in the house. You could also clearly see where Connor had managed to move Hank's things. There were files and files everywhere, but Connor's had been neatly organized into stacks, in places they could fit in well. Hank's files had papers sticking out everywhere, and were not well organized. Although, Connor had clearly attempted to at least put them in some sort of order. The kitchen was also perfectly organized, so I take it that must be a place Connor has free reign over. In fact, most furniture and oddities had been neatly arranged, as though Hank let Connor just go around and organize. Oddly, one of the windows was boarded up...

Hank sighed and sat down on the couch. I shrugged at him, confused. 

"Connor's in the back of the house. Where else would he be?" Hank asked.

"I don't know. Not here? Outside? Shipping himself to China? I don't know," I answered sarcastically. Hank rolled his eyes.

"Sumo!" Hank called. Suddenly, a large dog barreled across the room to jump on top of the sofa and lay next to Hank. 

"Seems like Connor didn't get around to teaching him not to lie on the sofa," I answered.

"And he never will," Hank answered. I smirked and headed through a hallway into the back of the house. Checking the first door on the right, there was a bathroom, which had been neatly organized, but still had signs of Hank, with clothes scattered around. Looks like Connor hasn't been in here for a day or two. 

The first door on the left led into a large, messy room. Okay, so I found Hank's room. 

The second door on the left should be Connor's. I opened the door, to see Connor in his suit standing, flipping his coin, and looking out the window. 

"I saw you pull up," He said turning around. 

"Did I do something?" I asked confused, as he was rather stand-offish. 

"Not at all," he said shaking his head. "I suppose I was just out of it."

"Oh," I said confused. 

"I like your dress," Connor said, smiling. He walked over to me and kissed me. I chuckled, as he took my hair and tucked it behind my ears. 

"I need some help," I explained.

"Hit me," Connor said, quite aggressively.

"What?" I asked confused.

"Oh. Wrong tone. Hit me," he said, far more casually and kindly. I smiled. Only him...

"We need to do something we haven't done in a long time," I explained.

"What is that?" He asked.

"Connect," I answered.

Connor took a deep breath, and extended his arm, turning off his skin. I followed and for the first time in a long while, we connected.