8.

Heather, 12:45 am, in the car

Wake up!"

Darkness was taking me deep and deep, and surprisingly, I wasn't scared or panic. I was enjoying the darkness in my mind where there were no memories...except the painful one. Strangely the painful images weren't plaguing me right then. It was appearing that someone had pulled me back from those memories and brought me in the safe world...where there was pitch darkness...an addictive darkness.

"...Wake up!"

"What?" I couldn't believe my voice; it was harsh and unfamiliar. It wasn't me, but the voice was coming from me as though someone was pushing those harsh words from my mouth. I could feel boiling anger in me -- definitely I wasn't doing it. Everything was happening quickly, just like blinking of eyes.

"You_you just can't sleep like that," Samson touched my arms, expressions mixture of concern and anxiety, but there wasn't surprise in his eyes. His bushy eyebrows stuck together as though it would stitch his whole face if he scrunched it more. "You okay?"

Was I fine? I had to think on that. I was completely on the darkness, and weirdly, I was getting attracted to it as though it belonged to me. But somewhere -- somewhere deep in me I could sense threads of doubts entangling. So many question were there -- was hard to pick one to unfold the answer.

"I_I'm confused," words left out my mouth; they were hardly audible for even me to understand. "Darkness_"

"Don't follow such things now," Samson interrupted, his voice a soft whisper. He leaned back and placed nape of his neck on back of the seat, staring at the ceiling of the car. He pulled his eyelids down. "Just remember one thing," he said, rubbing his face. Ring with emerald diamond was glinting in his index finger. "You are new in this world. Just don't believe everything which you see and don't get involved in what you feel good. Think million times before taking any decisions, even if it doesn't matter to you."

Nervousness ran down my spine. The matter wasn't simple as I was thinking before. My instincts immediately told me that Samson wanted to tell to stay alert every time. But would it be possible for me, when my mind was completely blank and full of entanglements? Seemed difficult. Did I have any option to escape it? No. I didn't. I was already in deep ocean where there was darkness, an aaddictative and manipulative darkness, I guessed.

Further, I didn't have guts to ask Samson about the meaning of his words. Hence, I rubbed my face to wipe out remnants of deep sleep off my eyes. Inhaling a refreshing scent of orchids, I looked out of the window.

Dark, rayless curtain of the sky was already settled over the horizon. No moon and stars were there to shine in the surrounding. Truth to be told, it was the reflection of images which I'd encountered in my sleep.

What would be the meaning of all those things? Who was I, and who I belonged to?

Sudden screech of car literally caused my heart to jump out of my chest. My forehead was about to bang on the back of the driver's seat, Samson saved me by blocking the impact by his hand. His clammy palm was now protectively pressed against my forehead.

"You okay?" asked Samson, slowly taking his hand back off my forehead. My breath had not yet come in normal stance; it was furiously running with my throbbing heartbeats. My body was transpiring the panic.

Taking curls of my hair back, I followed Samson's gaze. He was staring out straight towards the road, following his driver's eyes.

It surprised me the way Samson was stiff. His eyes slightly widened and was depicting some kind of fear?

"What is he doing here?" Samson pressed the back of driver's seat, his fingers dug in the soft fabric of the seat.

"Don't have any idea," driver replied, his alert gaze still fixed at the road.

"He should not have been here."

About who they were talking?

As I squinted my eyes, I tried to decipher the image behind the foggy climate. Someone was jogging towards the car with black hood over his head and navy blue jeans. He had held glowing...emerald  light in his hand. Panic surged in my mind. Those emerald shine appeared in my mind like a lightening in the sky. Immediately my body began shivering. What if the creature jogging towards us was the man with emerald eyes? What if he come back to kill me after the order of Andrew Mullin?

No, it definitely wasn't time to die. There were so many things which were there to unfold.

The stranger was reducing the distance, and my courage was contracting with his each step. The sound of shoes over the empty, concrete road was scary in the silent atmosphere of the Venexsus.

"Zander," Samson clenched his jaw, shaking his head. "He is impossible." This was the first time I was seeing serious countenance on his face. He seemed tense, but was too good in hiding it through his eyes.

"Who is he?" I dared to ask, rubbing my arms which was catching coldness in the air.

"No one." Samson abrupt answer offended me. How could he hide anything from me when he was my guard? I was about to say it in words, I flinched when someone loudly banged on driver-side window of the car. Driver shared boring look with Samson, and Samson rolled his eyes.

Waiting for ten seconds, driver pulled down the glass of the window.

"What?" Serriousness dropped down from driver's mouth.

"You have guts to ask me that?" I gulped my terror with the growl of the stranger. I cowered under my skin. Once again those vengeful eyes flashed upon my brain, bringing back all those excruciating experience of agony.

Had the man with name 'Zander' had come to show me the death?

I hugged myself tightly.

"Both of you didn't find a need to inform me about it," Zander, whose face was still invisible to me, continued growling like a beast.

"You," I gasped when the new man grabbed the collar of the driver and pulled him out of the window. "You knew how important this matter is for me? You don't know through what I'd gone through today."

Now the driver got panic. All the blank expressions which he was holding, dropped down his face and replaced by extreme fear.

"What have you done today, Zander?" Samson spoke, after clearing his throat. He too seemed scared.

Who was the new man then?

"It's non of your concern," Zander boomed, almost tearing my eardrums. If possible, I would have run out, leaving everything behind. But it definitely wasn't possible.

The man was breathing harshly, same as beast.

"Have you both done your work?" Zander asked after sometimes, throwing the driver back. Poor bald man tumbled down his seat and collapsed with help. I think he broke his backbone.

"Absolutely," Samson straightened on his seat, adjusting his collar and clearing throat.

Why was he so nervous?

"She is with us."

My eyes immediately snapped at Samson.

"He is your roommate," Samson told me immediately and...

"Blo*dy betrayer!" Zander growled, putting me in the darkness of terror.

***

Hey guys, how was it? If you liked this chapter, don't forget to share your views. Till then keep reading and stay happy. 😊

Love you all so much 💫💓