Give Me A Reason

Continued

April stood outside of Hailey''s room, glancing in every few seconds with her phone pressed to her ear. "Please pick up, please pick up," she whispered, until Amelia came around the corner in sort of a rush. April hung up and ran to Amelia. "Thank God you're here," she praised.

"You called. You said it was urgent,"

"It is. See, I have a patient here, that is refusing treatment until they see you, so i called you to come down. I think she may have given birth by herself and she's bleeding badly," April said, before Amelia could really wrap her head around anything.

"A patient? She? What's her name?" Amelia asked, placing her hands under her stomach to give her bump a little bit of support.

"All she said was Hailey. I didn't get a last name. She said she knows you from rehab?" April poses as a question, even though it was definitely a statement. Amelia nodded, and pointed to the wheel chair by the nurses station.

"Okay. Yeah, umm, bring me that chair, then we can go in," she said. April quickly wheeled the seat to Amelia and watched her slowly sit down.

"Better," April asked, wheeling Amelia towards the room. The neurosurgeon shook her head and continued to hold her belly.

"No. But, at least now my feet don't hurt," she said. April wheeled Amelia into the room and watched Hailey's face light up at the sight of an old friend.

"I'll be back," April whispered, seeing that the two were going to need a few minutes. Hailey watched April shut the door and quickly leaned in towards Amelia.

"You've gotta help me. Their gonna take Nicky away," she pleaded. Amelia folded her arms and stared at Hailey.

"Are you using again? Is that why you're worried," Amelia accused. Hailey pushed her hair behind her ears and sat back.

"I'm not anymore, but I think I may have gotten Nicky hooked on them," Hailey confessed. Words could not explain Amelia's thought pattern, hearing that a child was hooked on drugs because of their mother. If she weren't pregnant and basically immobile, she would've strangled. Hailey where she sat. Instead she took a few seconds to cleanse her mental palette and count to ten.

Teddy's Place

Teddy sat at the kitchen table feeding little Leo his French fries and chicken nuggets Amelia had heated up for him before she was called away. "So this is what it's gonna be like?" She whispered, wearily. The chances of raising of her baby alone were becoming increasingly high with every minute that Patrick ignored her message. And she knew that her pregnancy by another guy could cause Patrick to realize the severity of her situation, but who could truly blame her? She was Attachment Barbie and that hadn't changed. Teddy watched Leo gum down a French fry before he took it out of mouth and handed it to her for some unknown reason. "It's not good?" Teddy asked as Leo laughed and grabbed a new fry.

Ring. Ring.

"Oh great," Teddy mumbled. She stood up, triggering her nausea, and hustled to the door. Quickly, she grabbed a baby wipe on the way there, and opened the door. To her surprise it was Patrick. "Umm, Hey," she smiled, letting him in.

"Hey. Sorry about this morning. I actually didn't go into work. My dog, you remember Fletch," Patrick said, following Teddy to the dining room table and sitting next to her. Teddy nodded, going back to feeding Leo. "Well, last night he swallowed something and was wheezing, so I spent all night at the vet, where my phone died. I actually just took Fetch home and saw you had texted, so I came right over," Patrick finished. Teddy's heart started to melt. She saw the odds of her single motherhood going down already.