18 | M E R I S S A

The doors burst open to his study and Hayze cursed as his pen went flying over the paperwork he was filling out

He looked up and his eyes flared with anger when he saw one of his thirsty business clients saunter into the study that he only let River into now. It was special for him and she had just ruined that.

"Hayze, darling! Its good to see you again. I'm back from Milan and i need another favor."

He rolled his eyes as she made herself comfortable in the chair in front of his desk, her legs folded over eachother and her dress annoyingly restrictive and short.

River's dresses were short sometimes, but that was only for Hayze to see. And they were never worn when he needed her to be professional.

"You look good," she smiled seductively.

"You look... tan. Welcome back Merissa." His voice was monotone and uninterested.

"Thanks. Anyway, i wanted to ask- Wait, hold on a second. Who was that little girl that i saw planting flowers outside your house?"

Hayze smiled unconciously. "That was River-rose."

"Well, tell her stop being so nosy. She was all up in my business, trying to ask for my name." She scoffed and Hayze clenched his fists under the table.

"That's called being polite."

"She needs to teach that dog of hers manners as well then."

He was about to shout at her in italian but then he thought against it. He wanted to keep the peace and get her out of his study as quickly as possible. "What is it that you wanted?"

"That charity event we do every year, i need you to come with me this time. I need the publicty for my next fasion show. I've got new amazing designs prepared, but i need more publicity for the show and people went crazy at my show three years ago after seeing us together."

Hayze frowned. "You do realize that the charity event is for raising funds for charity and not publicity."

She waved her hand around dissmisively. "It's killing two birds with one stone."

"I don't think i can bec-"

A knock sounded at the door and River peaked her head in the door. She looked a little sad. "Excuse me, Hayze?"

He perked up. "Yes, pretty girl? What is it that you need?" He asked gently, ignoring the pointed stare from Merissa. "Come here."

River walked in, her knee socks sliding over the cherry wood floor and her overall dress smudged with dirt from the garden.

As she walked by Merissa she gave her a shy, tight lipped smile but all she got in return was a blank stare.

As soon as River got around to his side of the desk, he grabbed her soft hands and pulled her towards him. She stumbled forward but he caught and steadied her before making her stand between his legs.