52 | C H A N G E

Hayze pressed a kiss to River's forehead as she stared blankly ahead at his chest

Hayze pressed a kiss to River's forehead as she stared blankly ahead at his chest. She had gotten better. And then gotten worse.

"You better keep your phone with you at all times, pretty girl. I'll call every hour. Be careful and call if you need anything, alright?" he said as he raked her hair back gently. She nodded and he shook his head, tilting her chin up. "Uh uh, words babygirl. I need to know you'll remember."

"Yes Hayze," she said as she looked up at him, her honey eyes in a slight daze. He furrowed his brows and kissed her little nose a few times. 

"Let me know if you need me. Or maybe I can get you to a really good therapist," he offered. 

She shook her head tiredly and rest her head on his chest with a small sigh. "I don't need a therapist, Hayze. I need Nico to be found and caught. And put in jail," she sniffled, her voice a pleading whimper. "He's gotten away with abuse and that was my fault. And he murdered our unborn baby. I can't let him get away with such horrible things anymore. I'm done letting him run me. Scare me. I'm just... done."

Hayze lifted her head from his chest and pressed a soft kiss of disbelief to her lips. "When did you think about all of this?" he asked softly.

"When I was in bed ignoring you," River said quietly which caused Hayze to chuckle. 

"Ah, so you were in deep thought, huh?" Hayze asked. "I'm sorry I got upset over that. I should have tried to understand what you were feeling."

"Its okay, sometimes we're so blinded by our own pain that we don't see anyone else suffering along with us."

Hayze smiled and was about to swoop her up into his arms, but than his watch timer went off. He sighed and gave her one last kiss, not wanting to leave her alone. "I've got to get going. I'll be back soon. Be careful, alright."

°•○●○•°

Hayze looked at his phone again for the sixth time in eight minutes. He was supposed to be here by now. 

Hayze had driven four hours away from River - just to find that he wasn't in the area any longer. He had gotten up and left again. Knowing the police were in pursuit of him. And Hayze as well. 

But now it was another four hour drive back home. What an absolute waste of... 

Hayze's eyes widened when he spotted someone that looked to have the same build as Nico and he quickly checked his phone, a message coming in to let him know that Nico had arrived.

Hayze loosened the buttons around his neck and got out of the car, slamming the car door behind him as Nico entered the bar/restaraunt. 

"Keep it peaceful," Hayze said under his breath as he rolled up the sleeves of his white dress shirt. "You don't need anything more on your record and River wouldn't be happy if you ended up behind bars instead of taking her from behind." He shook his head at himself, chuckling lightly. "How the hell does that girl put up with me?"