The past collides with the present

Enzo

I spoke with Cole, and he called my parents. Dad said they ground me. Mom said it was okay. They argued. Mom won. I told him it was for school and didn't want me to fail and be an idiot, Mom logic.

So I went to Everly's house. Dad would pick me up in two hours.

We walked in and met by the same guy. He looked at us as Everly told him who I was, and I was here to work on a school project. Then comes the fake attitude.

"I see. Well, I'll leave you two to work," Owen said with a fake look.

I didn't buy it. Something was wrong with this guy. Even not hearing, their expressions spoke volumes.

He left us alone, and we took a seat on the couch. Here is what people forget. I can feel vibrations. The dude was wearing boots, which hit the floor a certain way that gave off a vibration. When you stomp, it gives off a lot of waves, which is what he did.

I sat in front of Everly and wrote that we would start with the alphabet. She nodded, and I started teaching her the letters. She picked them up quickly. We practiced them over and over until she was good with that.

Finally, it was time for me to go. Everly got up and answered the door to see my dad standing there. I walked over to him, and something got his attention. I didn't know stuff got thrown around.

"Stay here," he said as I nodded.

He walked past us and into the kitchen.

Owen looked at him as he was picking up pots.

"You know how it is when you're getting a pot, and there's other's in the way," Owen lied.

"No, I usually pull out the pots before getting one. Not throw them around," Dad told him as Owen looked at him.

"I heard about the parking lot incident. Touch my boy again, and you and I will have a problem," he warned Owen, who looked at him.

He turned and walked away. As he walked towards me, he signed to go. I waved at Everly and left. Once inside the car, he turned to me.

"Enzo, something is wrong in that house," he told me.

"I know, but Everly won't talk to me. I'm hoping to teach her sign language so she will talk to me," I told him.

He looked at me and nodded.

The truth was Everly wasn't talking, and until she did, no one could help her. Without proof, it's our word against theirs, even if there is physical proof. How do you get someone to talk when there's a barrier between the two of you? You get help.

Cole

Antonio called me and explained what was going on. What he saw when he went to pick up Enzo. I knew it. I had a feeling, and it confirmed my hunch.

I visited two people. They would know better than anyone how to handle this. I told Wade what I was doing, and he agreed.

I walked into the coffee shop and found them sitting in a booth. Walking over, I took a seat next to Dad. Uncle Reed was sitting on the other side.

"Cole, what's going on," Dad asked me getting straight to the point.

"I think a girl at school is being abused by a family member," I answered.

They looked at me.

"Scratch that, I know she is," I added.

"Are you sure about this?" Reed asked me.

"I'm positive. Everly came into school with a black eye. Said she ran into a door. The other day, Everly winced when I tapped her arm. I was hoping by creating a class project with the sociology teacher and pairing her with Enzo; she would open up. She hasn't," I told them.

They listened to me.

"Dad, she's not talking, and if something doesn't happen, it will not end well."

"Cole, the problem is the trust factor. If they don't trust you, they won't talk," Reed said.

"We know. We didn't exactly have the best home life. Your grandmother abused me orally and drank herself to death," Dad told me.

"And my father beat me any chance he got since my mother ran off when I was younger," Reed said.

"But it took trust and someone that cared to help us," Dad said.

"Who?" I asked both.

"Your Grandad," Dad smiled.

"Even if she doesn't want to talk, sometimes you have to force it. I know people would say that's a poor way to handle it, but it may save their life. Cole, it's only a matter of time that it escalates," Reed warned me.

"What about her mother? She can't honestly allow this," Dad said to me.

"That's the thing; no one can get ahold of her mother. Her father died years ago, and so did the stepfather. The mother works a lot," I told them as they looked at each other.

"What?" I looked at them questionable.

"Here comes the lies," Dad sighed.

"Yeah, one hell of one," Reed agreed.

Something told me they weren't wrong. I had a feeling things were about to escalate, and it would unleash a lot of lies, dragging Enzo into the mix.

We talked more, and they told me they would look into it. See what Dad and Uncle Reed could find out before we make a move. I just wondered if the move would come too late.

I left to head home. When I got back, dinner was ready, and we were about to settle down when there was a knock at the door. Now what?

I got up to answer it, to find a woman standing there.

"Is Wade Morris here?" She asked. I looked at her. The woman dressed skanky, and she wore too much makeup.

"Yeah, hang on," I said as I went to get Wade.

He walked out with me.

"Are you Wade Morris," she asked him.

"It's Wade Hardwick now. Cole is my husband."

"What?" She looked at us with a disgusted look.

"Problem?" I asked.

"Yeah, I didn't know I fucked someone that was gay, and I sure in the hell didn't know they gave my baby to two queers," she snapped.

We stared at her.

"Oh god," Wade said. "You're the dancer from that night."

Well, shit.

"I want my boy back. I refused to have him raised by two fags," she sneered.

"You gave up your rights, you stupid bitch. Now go away," I said, shoving her out the way as I slammed the door on her.

"You'll hear from my attorney!"

"Good, we'll be waiting," I yelled.

I looked at Wade, and he said, "I didn't know, and I didn't know what she looked like."

"She isn't taking our boy," I snapped.

We turned to see Cade standing there, shit.

"I resulted from a one-night stand?" His brows furrowed.

"Cade," I said.

"What else are you lying to me about," he asked.

We looked at him.

"Save it. I need not know. I'm out of here," Cade said, turning and leaving out the back way as we ran after him. But it was too late. He left.

We called Adrian and Antonio to let them know what was going on. They said they would let us know if he showed up. It didn't matter. I refuse to stay put while our boy was out there. If I had to search all damn night, I would, that's our boy. What a mess?