Chapter XXVI: The enemy prevails

Lucy's Pov

After weeks of preparation, we finally went down to the court. I really hope this will work. We are already inside waiting for the other party to come in. Until the door opened seeing the sight of Victor Conte sent chills down my spine. My relationship with Natsu got better and I'm glad about that, I just hope that it'llcontinueto get better. After him was a tall slender man and I believe that's Richard Conte the man I suppose to be "marrying". And the person I saw after shocks me the most. He's here but with them. He's wearing his normal suit and tie with glasses on and he's holding a briefcase. Oh God No!

Gray is their lawyer!

"Gray what are you doing!" Natsu exclaimed.

"Simmer down Mr. Dragneel we're about to start." Victor snickered.

By the way, I see Victor I can already something is wrong. I then shifted my gaze on Gray. He looks cold and serious. He's clearly not in his normal happy state.

———

The trial started and by the way, Gray is talking it seems like he doesn't even care about us it's like our bonds had been broken instantly.

Surprisingly the trial went so fast. Gray kept on asking these questions that make Auntie speechless. The threat Auntie told Rufus about, nothing, they even show camera footage of Auntie peacefully signing the papers and giving Victor a handshake. Clearly, in the end we lost.

———

Victor Conte's Pov

"It's over I already did what I need to do. Now do your part of the deal." Gray coldly said.

"I am a man of my word." I picked up my phone and dialed a number. "But I have to make sure that you won't try to stop the wedding." I smirked.

Lucy's Pov

We walked away and we saw Gray standing at the entrance. Natsu quickly rushed through him and grabbed his collar.

"What the hell do you think you're doing dumbass!" Natsu pinned him over the wall.

"I have nothing to say." He replied.

"Gray how could you." Auntie said. "We trusted you." She added almost tearing up.

To be honest I am too.

"Do even have any say into this?" Auntie asked Rufus who is in front with Natsu and Gray.

"Thank you for the service, my friend." Gray smiled.

"Of course." Rufus raised his hat and put it back on and quickly left.

"Tell me why. Why! Why are you doing this." Natsu let go of him.

"None of your business." He replied.

"Gray stop this already! I know you and I know something is up! So please just tell me why. We're friends, aren't we? I can forgive you with all of this because I know something is forcing you to do this stuff." Natsu exclaimed.

I can't help myself I didn't even realize I was moving forward.

"Can you please stop. You don't know me. You know anything about me. And I hate to break it to ya but I'm doing this in my own free will. Conte is a valued client of mine and I'm actually delighted for doing all of this. And don't even expect me to come back tomorrow I already packed my things and cleaned the office yesterday now stop this buddy buddy crap and leave me be." He said.

And that does it. I lifted my hand and slapped him hard in the face.

"What are you talking about! I don't understand does all the bonds that we share meant nothing to you. If Natsu is right and something is bothering you it's fine just talk to us. You're like a brother to me dammit." exclaimed already tearing up.