Chapter 10

I walk into music class, and suddenly all the tension and stress disappears. I adore that. I take my seat. The teacher walks in, "Good afternoon students. How is everyone?" Everyone murmurs, "Ok, well for your future project in a few weeks, you and a partner, that of course I'm choosing, will create a song. You shall only use the instruments around you, and the song will not only be a note full song, but a lyrical song." Everybody including me, remains quiet, from no one knowing anyone in the class. "As I was saying, partners! Let's see, this is an interesting bunch. Hmm, umm.. Ok, here we go. The partners shall be : Jeff and Maddie, Caleb and Rick, Joan and Olive, Marie and Bri, Shannon and Tyler, Bailey and Ryan, Abby and Daniel, Paul and Anna, and finally Max and Emily. Get to work !"

DANIEL. WHAT.

Everyone gets up and try's to greet their partner, trying not to make it awkward. I get up from my cozy seat and find my partner, Daniel. Of course, I get the classmate that doesn't speak to ANYONE. I stand in front of him, "Hey, umm.. I'm Abby. I've seen you around school, and we have some classes together, but since this is our first actual project working with each other, than I may as well introduce myself." I tried not to sound ridiculous. But, Daniel just sat there staring into outer space. "Ok, well I guess we should get started. Anywhere you want to start out with specific?" Nothing. Not a word. I'm starting to get aggravated, but not trying to show it. "Well, I'll sit over here and work on some lyrics.." I said. I sat in front of him with a piece of scratch paper and a pencil. I try to write what I'm feeling, but not too deep because it's Daniel that I'm working with and I have no idea who he is, truly, and how he'll react. I turn back towards him, and he has already written down lyrics and bits and pieces of musical beats and notes. I'm astonished. "Wow. That's amazing how fast and fluent you are in music." Daniel picks his head up, and looks me in the eyes, as do I. Our faces are so close, with only a few inches separating us. I've never seen him so clearly. He looks even better than he did when he spoke for the first time in class. Daniel just stares, and then puts his head back down to his paper, smirks, and continues to write. I turn back and think about how close I was to Daniel. He seems like a whole other person, physically, when you see him as closely as I just did. As I'm working on various rhythms, I suddenly feel a tap on my shoulder. I slowly raise my head and jerk my head back towards Daniel. He wants my attention? For what? He hands me his paper and gets up and walks toward the teacher, then walks out of the room with the bathroom pass. I read what Daniel wrote, and is amazed by what he's created.

"It's time to begin, isn't it? I get a little bit bigger, but then, I'll admit, I'm just the same as I was. Now don't you understand, that I'm never changing who I am."