Chapter 41

I missed getting lost in Dan's beautiful blue eyes. In his icy eyes I now see what couldn't be shown before. Sympathy.

For the very first time, I was the one who broke away from the irresistible connection between Dan's eyes, and mine.

I feel pity on myself.

I can't look at someone who saved my life when I didn't want them to.

It makes me look weak. Unworthy. Embarrassed. Ungrateful. Shameful. Selfish.

Quickly, I turn my head away from Dan, feeling harshly nauseous.

My mother wanted Dan and I to talk, but quite frankly, I don't know what to say. What would I say to him, anyways?

Thank you? I hate you?

My feelings run in all different routes. I wanted to be gone right then and there, but that's a regret that'd be buried into my grave, with me grasping unto it.

"Abby?"

Hearing his voice makes my heart warm up. Still, I remain facing away from him.

"Abby?"

Dan repeating himself isn't going to make my fragile, wounded head, face him, dead in the eyes. I can't.

All of a sudden, I feel a cold, large hand grab my chin and steer it in a direction ending in the destination of inches in front of Dan's face.

"Abby?"

Dan's voice grows serious and stern. Now he knows I'm listening.

I'm so close to him, which I've missed dearly. Staring into Dan's eyes steel my breath, which I've missed even more. Then, my tears can't cope any longer.

I cry. And cry. Cry like I've never cried before. To anyone.

I feel Dan wrap his warm arms around my small body, and tightly squeeze me. I feel so protected in his arms, like nothing can trespass.

I hear my crying sound horrid and my breathing sound unbearable.

I hear machines constantly beep.

I hear Dan sniffing.

I hear Dan's heart beating fast.

Then I hear Dan's voice.

"What were you thinking Abby?" Dan yells out, still holding me in his arms. He is crying. I've never really heard a man cry before.

"That's the thing, I wasn't thinking." I try to speak clearly but, I doubt you can make out the words.

"You tried to kill yourself Abby !"

I slowly pull away and snort everything back in that's releasing out, and speak with a clear voice,

"How can you kill what's already dead?"

With that said, I lay back down on the hospital bed, and watch Dan stop the silent crying and lean back in the chair, staring at me.

The room gets quiet as Dan and I blankly seep into each others mind and assume what one another is thinking.

Moments pass by, and my thoughts get distracted due to Dan's hands moving. I stare down at his hands and notice something that wasn't recognized before.

"Dan, what happened to your hand?" I wordily ask.

"Nothing." Dan tries to say casually, as I witness him tucking the hand bothering me into his leather jacket, hiding it.

I then sit up from the comfortable sitting position and reach out to Dan, yanking the hand out from the sleeve. My eyes broadly widen and I loudly gasp, making Dan flinch.

"Oh my gosh Dan ! What the hell happened to your hand?"

His swollen hand is mixed with black, blue, and hints of purple everywhere, and I can clearly feel Dan's hand throb.

"Kevin." Dan hesitantly admits.

"Kevin did this to you?" I question.

"No. I punched Kevin in the lunchroom after you ran out, hearing what he did to you."

My eyes start filling with salty water. If Dan's hand is that badly bruised, I can't imagine what Kevin's face looks like.

I then begin to rub his injured hand and peacefully kiss it.