Chapter 52

"Here we are." Dan announces after a mysterious hour drive through the darkness. All I see is nothing but pitch black in the middle of 'no where'. My eager temptations are getting the best of me as I suddenly jump out of the vehicle onto the desert, rocky ground. As my feet trail through the dusty and dry floor, my arms and hands try to find Dan, until he eventually finds me in the chilly blowing wind.
"Where are we Dan?" I finally ask after moments of searching.
"You'll see." Dan responds.
"It's so dark, I can barely see my hand in front of my face." I state.
Just then, I suddenly feel the coldness of Dan's bare hands touch my hips, just as the wind blows partial of my large shirt up to my stomach. The coldness delivers my body a package of chills.
Dan's hands steer me to the unknown destination of a halt. The image is still very unclear as I remain standing in the darkness with Dan. Suddenly, Dan's grip on my sides become tighter as I am then lifted up and pushed onto what I'm guessing the back of his truck. As soon as I catch my balance, I wander my hands to discover Dan's, to help pull him up, which eventually, I do.
"Thanks Aja," Dan sweetly remarks.
"You're welcome. But Dan, can you please tell me where we are now?" I jokingly ask.
Ignoring my question, Dan places his soft, cold hands over my curious eyes, then gently forces me to carefully lay down, as does he.
"Okay, open." Dan quickly says while removing his hands from my anxious eyes.
Just as my eyes can visibly see, my heart drops due to the most beautiful sight in the entire universe.
Hundreds and thousands of speckled, luminous stars, filling the night sky. This view is poetry.
"Dan, this is-"
"I know." Dan sarcastically interrupts.
My breath is taken. Nothing on Earth could ever compare to this moment.
Being here with Dan, laying in the back of his truck, literally staring off into space, feels like everything is eternal, like nothing could ruin it. Nothing.
To make matters even more beautiful, I then feel the comfort of another's hand touch mine. Before I know it, Dan and I are holding hands at the perfect moment.
I slowly turn my bashful head to Dan, and he does to me. The stars must have gotten brighter, for now I can clearly see the blueness of Dan's eyes.
Without a doubt in my clueless mind, I lean in towards Dan's face and land a soft, warming kiss on his cold lips.
This is what a first kiss is suppose to feel like.
Dan's kiss gives me chills. He more than likely thought I was cold because he then slips off his comfortable, black leather jacket, and wraps me in it. Just as Dan finishes warming my body up, he slides my tiny, helpless body towards his large mass of one, and tucks me under his arm, while the other one stretches across me.
Suddenly, Dan signs a kiss on top of my forehead, then nestles his gentle head on mine.
So this is what feeling "alive" feels like?
Right here, right now, feels like I'm in the most gorgeous romantic movie.
"Thank you Dan."
"For what?"
"For giving me a second chance when no one else would. That's all I ever needed."
Once again, Dan kisses my forehead, I can feel his massive smile poke out against my head.
"I love you Aja," Dan admits.
Without hesitation I answer, "I love you too, Dan."
This time my 'I love you' is surely positive, that I know for a fact.
Dan and I drift off into the sea of exquisite beauty of the enchanting view, that happens perhaps only once in a life time.
I'm not talking about the lights.
This chapter in my life is defined as good, for now. As long as I have Dan standing with me through the battle, I can survive.
That thought travels through my pleased mind as Dan and I eternally comfort each other under the vast blanket of stars.