Chapter 8

Cyrus POV

As I sat waiting for Andi and Buffy after school I spotted amber. I almost hated her but then I thought "she definitely didn't kno about me liking tj. She's my friend". So when she walked past me I smiled and waved. Another waitress came and took my order and as she did the bell dinged and I saw buffy andi and jonah. 

They all sat with me and on that note I realized, "they are all I needed ". "Aye cy guy! " jonah greeted me. Buffy and andi hugged me. I was happy and content in this moment.

"You doing ok cyrus? " buffy asked me. Our waitress brought the taters and I took one. "Yes I am doing amazing" I said.

"Liar" my conscious  called me. "What the? " I thought. I brushed it off. "Your not worried bout tj right? We all know how u love to be friends with enemies" she chuckled. "No way not this time" I replied halfheartedly as I ate my baby tater. 

At the same time I was trying to keep my conscious quiet. 

I inwardly groaned at the nagging part of my brain that told me I made a mistake. Im human I thought - we all make mistakes. So I made a mental note reminding myself that next time I see him I would let tj explain. 

Tjs POV

As I walked home from work I was a nervous wreck. Despite the downfall with cyrus I still owed it to myself to open up with my mom. She was getting home early today since she took the morning shift. 

I walked in, smiled, and sat with laycee. There was already mashed potatoes and broccoli on the table. "Wish me luck " I whispered to her. She smiled and crossed her fingers for me.

Mom brought the roast beef to the table and we started filling our plates. As we were finishing up I cleared my throat and took a sip of water.

"Mom" I said. She looked at me and smiled, yea tj hon what is it? " she asked me. I struggled to find the words then I felt laycee kick my foot under the table signaling me to continue my sentence.

"Um, well mom I wanted to be honest with you and tell you that I am gay" I stuttered through the sentence. 

My mom got up and pointed to the living room. When I walked past her and turned around she slapped me. It was completely unexpected and my heart died.

My moms voice was cold, "two years tj kippen and now you decide to act up after your father -" she paused.

"After what? Say it let's not pretend like we don't know" I said. "He killed himself son he killed himself. I need you to grow up and stop acting up" she whispered yelled again. 

 "Acting up? Mom I'm opening up to you-" she grabbed my arm with forcefulness. My cheek still stung from where she hit me.

"your father was barely keeping us afloat and I do all the work. then he says hes clinically depressed it was a crutch. A crutch tj. Don't start with the gay phase and use it as a crutch for me to take it easy on you" she explained to me.

I was stunned and her next words repeated in my head over and over as I watched mom go back in the dining room : "Like father like son ".