CHAPTER 10

Amber POV

As I was closing up at the spoon I had an incoming call from Laycee. "Awesome" I thought especially after today's work day.

"Hey laycee" I said after picking up. "Amber I I I need you please can u come with me to the hospital? " she was crying hard and I heard sirens in the background. "Omg laycee I'm on my way" I said. I rushed to get a lyft to Shadyside General Hospital. "Idk what it was but it sounded bad" I thought nervously. 

When I made it there Laycee was in the corner sobbing. There was a pit in my stomach the last time I saw her sobbing this hard was when her dad passed.

"Laycee? " I whispered. She handed me a sheet of paper and my heart dropped. "Tj? " I asked sadly. She nodded and I hugged her hard. I looked around and didnt see Mrs Kippen anywhere.

Then a nurse walked up and asked "are you family of tj kippen? ". I nodded with laycee lying. The nurse told us that Tj overdosed on ambien, vicoden, and Tylenol and that he was stable but unconscious. She walked away and at that moment I didn't understand what drove tj to do this. I looked at laycee and I dried her cheeks as I kept my composure.

I promise laycee that the next day I would go with her to Tjs school to break the news. Until then I went back to the Kippen residence to get a few things for laycee and tj when he woke up. 

Cyrus POV (the next day). 

The day was going  ok but i hadn't seen TJ and part of me was worried and the other confused. He hadn't responded to my email. I stood by the water fountain waiting for Buffy so we could walk to math together but I turned my attention to the office. The females looked familiar and then they turned around to walk out it hit me.

Laycee tjs sister and Amber? "What the heck? " I thought. Laycee eyess were puffy and red and Amber was consoling her. Amber looked up and saw me for a second but kept walking. "That was weird" I thought.

Then Buffy walked up to me and put her arm around me. "Ready for math? " she laughed. "For sure! " i said. But, in reality I was ready to see amber at the spoon to ask what the heck was going on. 

------------ Later at the spoon

Like I hoped Amber was there when buffy, andi, and I walked in. Buffy scoffed, " can't believe your still friends with Amber" she whispered.

"I need to talk to her" i said. As we sat amber walked up sniffling and forced out with a frown, "spoon what can I getcha? ". She was holding back tears and I needed to find out why.

Yet buffy piped up before I could say anything, "awww what happened kippen broke ur heart already? " she put on a fake sad face and laughed. 

Amber threw her pen at the floor and sobbed as she walked to the back. I followed her and pulled her into a hug.

" what's wrong? " i asked. "Laycee - she found tj last night. He tried to kill himself. " she sobbed even harder. " I read his notebook. Cyrus, tj kissed me to confirm he was gay. He really liked you. Then his mom refused to hear he was gay and I guess that broke him more"she explained. " r u sure? " i asked.

Amber just nodded and I hugged her again. She pulled herself together and got back to work. I sat down and I fell apart. the tears just flowed and flowed. "I cant believe it" i thought. 

Andi held me although both her and buffy were confused. Finally as best as I could I explained what was going on. " so now hes unconscious in the hospital after he --" I paused.

"He?" buffy encouraged me to continue.

"Got in a car crash? " andi guessed.

I put my head in my hands and as I said the words the reality hit me of tjs situation.

"He's in the hospital after a failed suicide attempt " I whispered.

"Pardon? " buffy asked me. "You guys idk how to deal with this pain and guilt" I sobbed again. 

When I looked up andi was starting to tear up. She wiped her eyes and said "so this is what he meant about not wanting to hurt you& I messed up". 

"Andi don't. Its complicated and we both feel guilty. dont blame yourself " I told andi.

Yet, I couldn't bring myself to take my own advice. So i did what I only could do that I havnt been doing - be at tjs side for once.