Chapter 19

Cyrus pov

Its been a month since tj has come back to school. Sometimes I see the real tj around me. Hes smiling, confident, serious, and even sometimes annoyed. Lately I realized if I bring up his home life he shuts down and all I can do is apologize for bringing it up. Today tj and I resume our tutoring session. I am actually looking forward to it. Then I remembered the last time I was here was when tj put that note in my locker. I still couldnt wrap my head around the fact tj likes me of all people. I got to the room and tj wasn't there yet so I took out my notebook preparing to tutor tj.

He walked in and stood in front me, " hi underdog" he winked at me. I smiled in return and tj took out a note and placed it on my desk. "For me?" I asked him as I felt my cheeks become warm. "Yea" he replied simply as he sat down. I hesitated to open it not knowing whether to read it or not. "Can I read it now?" I asked him and tj chuckled. "No. After the tutoring session" he replied. "Okay. Fine"I said and we began the session. I showed tj five different problems from a test he missed. He seemed to be doing well and was grasping the lesson today. As we finished I told him, " im proud of you tj" I exclaimed. "Well I have a great tutor" tj said making my heart race.

Only a few minutes passed but we were still staring into each other's eyes. Tj moved closer and the heat surrounding me heightened. I didn't realize I was holding my breathe until tj stopped near my face and whispered, "you can read the note now". He moved his head back and he looked into my eyes again and I replied, "okay" I said. I didn't move - I was locked in on tj. I moved closer to him and my hand held his cheek. "I really care about you tj" I said after I laid my forehead against his. Tj held my hand that was on his cheek and brought my hand to his lips. He kissed the back of my hand and stated, " i know cy". We made eye contact and my breath hitched in my chest and in this moment all was perfect.

Tjs pov

The way I felt as cyrus was this close to me was just warmth and love. I broke contact and moved back and gave cyrus the note. I put it in his hands and I told him, "read it". He opened up the letter and he read it to himself. I had written: "Dear cyrus, I know our hearts have known pain and I've been distant but your mom has diagnosed me with depression. Sometimes I crave isolation but mostly I desire your presence. Forgive me ahead of time for the mistakes I'll make. I've already done so for you because I cannot fathom a day that doesn't have you in it. Anyways, will you do me the honor of going on a date with me this Saturday evening? Yours truly, Tj".

I looked into at his face trying to read his expression but nothing. He picked up his stuff and I did too. We walked out together to the front of the school in silence. I watched as Cyrus put his bookbag down, walk a few feet ahead of me and look up. He inhaled and exhaled, turned to face me, and ran to me and we embraced in a huge warm hug. "Yes yes yes! I'll go out with you! " cyrus yelled. I laughed, "you scared me with that silence underdog". "Sorry- I was taking it all in" cyrus told me as he was still in my arms. " I'm happy your seeing my mom" cyrus explained. "I don't know how considering I'm not paying her for it" I said confused. "Well" cyrus began and then stopped.

"What were you going to say? " I asked as I took his hand in mine. "I may have something to do with that" he said unsure of himself. I stopped in my tracks and asked, "are you-? " i paused wondering if he was getting me free sessions. "I'm doing work for the neighbors - I did it for you tj. I hope that doesn't upset you"he said looking uncertain. I pulled him into a hug and kissed his cheek and I shook my head. I was wiping away tears, "your too sweet for me muffin. you deserve better" I said as we hugged . We continued to walk and cyrus looked at me "hey don't say that. You've got a date with me Saturday, remember? ". I dropped him off on his porch. "See you tomorrow? " cyrus asked smiling up at me. "Of course my muffin" I sighed happily