Sacrifice

"You idiot, P Arthit, Arthit, uuuuuuuuuuuuuu...............ohhhhhhhhhhhh..........nooooooooooonnnnnnnnoooooo..........why did you tear my passport, why? "

"It was expired and it was of no use to you".

"How can you  decide for me Arthit?"

"Where is the P after Arthit?  No respect for your senior?"

" You are my lover and not my senior, first understand that".

"I have got an opportunity of lifetime, you know that".

"Wow, you did not tell me, how will I know?"

"I have got the chance to visit Africa for my Zulu Literature and Language Research along with my Guide, can you imagine."

"Him, I can imagine, yours doubtful".

"I know you will never consider my worth, well, the Archaeological Survey of Thailand has and they are  funding our research, travel, food accommodation, can you believe at least that?"

"Of course, that I can, but you going to Africa, I still cannot".

"You will be shocked to hear, but the research programme is for two years, solid two years".

"In Africa?"

"Yes, in Africa, My dreamland, my first love, my love of my life".

"AND WHAT ABOUT ME?"

Kong was speechless and so Arthit was.  Since then on wards, the cold war of not talking started between them.  They conversed only when needed, mostly monologues.  It was only on the part of Arthit, most of the time, but Kong kept his mouth tightly shielded.  Nobody knew that something amiss between them, but the bickering quietened and Kong did not bother Arthit anymore with money for his day to day expenses.  But still Arthit managed to slip the money into Kong's pocket. 

The cold war continued for 10 more days.  At last on the eleventh day, which was Saturday, Arthit came home early and left a packet on the  table.  Kong was idly sitting when he saw the envelope and tore the envelope to take the content out.  Out came a small booklet which resembled new Passport.  It read Thailand Passport and flipping through  the first page, it read about  Kong's details  and it was  renewed  for next twenty years.  Kong was surprised and started laughing hysterically much to the confusion of Arthit's understanding. 

 When  the peals of laughter died down, Kong took another envelope addressed to Kong himself from the Archaeological Survey of Thailand and placed on the same table.  Arthit  took a letter from the envelope and read the contents.  He was shocked and sadness written all over his face.  

"Please think over about your decision to transfer your chance to go to Africa for the Zulu Literature and Language research to your friend Mr Tew Sangpot. "

Only this line caught Arthit's eyes for too long.  

****************